Sweet cupcakes flecked with pretty green shreds of zucchini and mini chocolate chips with a rich, fluffy cream cheese frosting.
My answer to the growing zucchini problem.
If you plant zucchini in your garden than you know they grow like weeds and ripen at lightning speed, especially in August, a month that was plainly made for the sole purpose of harvesting zucchini.
There’s even a special day (Aug. 8th) designated for pawning off the excess on your neighbors… National Sneak Some Zucchini onto your Neighbor’s Porch Day.
Let me know if you need my address.
The zucchini keeps them nice and moist and the chocolate chips and frosting makes them irresistible even to zucchini haters. I know I say that all the time about my zucchini recipes but only because it’s completely true. I’ve witnessed it many times with my very own eyes and have readers tell me the same exact thing.
Your kids, husband, dad, best friend, etc… all who passionately insist they hate zucchini will fall hard for these. And if you happen to have zucchini lovers around you they will thank-you up and down as they reach for a second one.
Cross my heart and pinky swear.
They’ll pass the test.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 12 cupcakes
Sweet cupcakes flecked with pretty green shreds of zucchini and mini chocolate chips with a rich, fluffy cream cheese frosting. My answer to the growing zucchini problem.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with liners or grease with butter or non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl whisk the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt together then mix in the chocolate chips.
- In another bowl stir together the zucchini, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture and mix just until combined - the batter will be thick - do not overmix or they will be rubbery.
- Divide batter evenly among cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 22 to 24 minutes.
- Cool in tin on a wire rack for 10 minutes; turn cupcakes out, right side up, and cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth and fluffy about 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla.
- Add a cup of confectioners' sugar at a time and beat until light and fluffy about 5 minutes.
- Using an offset spatula or butter knife, spread frosting on cupcakes. The frosted cupcakes are best eaten within 1-3 days. Store in refrigerator.
Adapted from Martha Stewart
Copyright ©2014 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved