Almond chocolate chip brownies topped with a thick, chewy layer of sweet coconut and a milk chocolate topping.
These are exactly like an almond joy candy bar only in brownie form. Except they don’t actually contain any almond joys. Is that wrong?
Maybe I should have called them by their original name: coconut black bottom bars.
“Almond joy brownies” simply sound better. A name to show their personality. A name that suits them with all the familiar flavors of an almond joy candy bar present.
Moist coconut ✓
Milk chocolate ✓
Plus the bonus of a double chocolate brownie.
These clearly have a lot more to offer than a candy bar.
Almond chocolate chip brownies topped with a thick, chewy layer of sweet, moist coconut and a milk chocolate topping.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment, leaving a slight overhang; butter bottom and sides of foil (not overhang).
- In a large microwaveable bowl melt butter; whisk in sugar and salt, then egg, then cocoa an d flour until smooth. Stir in almonds and chocolate chips. Spread batter in pan and bake 12 minutes. Remove and allow to cool slightly
- Meanwhile make coconut topping by whisking eggs with sugar and vanilla then gently mixing in flour and coconut (except ½ cup reserved). Drop spoonfuls of the coconut mixture all over the top of the brownie; spread and pat out with moistened fingers. Sprinkle with reserved ½ cup coconut.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick in center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached. Completely cool in pan and then lift out using the foil/parchment to a cutting board. Cut into 16 squares using a very sharp chef’s knife and wiping clean after each cut. Place the squares on a wire rack an inch or two apart.
- Melt the chopped chocolate and shortening together using a double broiler or the chocolate setting on a microwave. Stir until smooth and allow to cool slightly. Dollop spoonfuls over the top of each brownie, repeating until all the chocolate is used. Sprinkle with almonds. Allow to set. If the chocolate stays sticky refrigerate for 20-25 minutes to set. Store in airtight container in a cool place.
Adapted from Martha Stewart