Decadent corn muffins packed full of flavor with bacon crumbles, cheddar cheese, sautéed onions and buttermilk. A muffin that’s a meal in and of themselves.
The onions cook in the leftover bacon grease before being added to the batter. Sick. I know. In a wickedly good way. Unless you have something against bacon. I don’t.
If there’s one thing I am against it’s a dry, crumbly corn muffin. These aren’t them. Between the bacon sautéed onions and the buttermilk they are incredibly moist.
Alongside soup, stew or chile, with a salad for lunch or for breakfast along with your eggs, with a cup of tea, coffee or all by their lonesome. . . you will want to eat them with every meal until the entire batch is decimated.
I don’t know of anyone who can resist their charms.
Decadent corn muffins packed full of flavor with bacon crumbles, cheddar cheese, sautéed onions and buttermilk.
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crispy. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. Drain off the grease leaving 1-2 tablespoons behind.
- Add onion and cook over medium-low heat until soft and tender 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400° degrees F. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake liners or grease lightly with butter.
- In a smallish bowl lightly whisk buttermilk, olive oil and egg together.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and soda, salt and red pepper. Make a well in the center and add the milk mixture, stir until just moist.
- Crumble the bacon and mix half of it into the batter along with the onion and cheese - don't overmix - just until combined.
- Fill the wells of the muffin tin about 3/4 of the way full. Sprinkle the tops with the remaining bacon and additional cheese if desired.
- Bake 13-16 minutes or until a toothpick in center comes out with a few moist clingy crumbs. Remove muffins from pan and cool on wire racks.
Adapted from Cooking Light
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved. No copying or duplication of any content (including photos) without the express written permission from the owner of this website.