A delicious recipe for pasta with all the flavors of the beloved blt sandwich! Linguini pasta is packed with smoky bites of bacon, grape tomatoes, cubes of toasted bread and peppery baby arugula leaves. A creamy, milky sauce made with Parmesan and basil brings it all together to make one of my most memorable pasta creations. A masterpiece. One that I can say with all certainty will be a repeat in my house.
I love to ‘cook’ up recipes from what I have on hand! Leftover arugula from the Arthur Avenue Burgers I made the other day were a shoe-in for the l in blt. With the help of fresh grape tomatoes plucked from my garden and a wedge of stale Italian bread sitting on my counter I turned the classic blt upside down.
Right on it’s head!
The sauce sounds heavy but isn’t. It doesn’t overwhelm the dish and is just the right amount to lightly coat the noodles. Not only does it add flavor but helps all those goodies floating around cling to the noodles. A different combination of flavors and textures packs every single, delectable bite.
A pop of juicy tomato. The salty, chewy bacon. Crispy yet soft-in-the middle bread cubes. A little bite from the tender arugula. And a creamy pasta that serves as the backdrop for it all. The best bite is when you manage to get a little piece of everything on your fork. Getting it all in your mouth at once is another thing.
Two of the most favorite comfort foods ever known to man collide for a truly rewarding dish that’s fresh, summery, hearty and satisfying.
Linguini pasta is packed with smoky bites of bacon, grape tomatoes, cubes of toasted bread and peppery baby arugula leaves all tossed in a creamy sauce.
- In a large skillet heat two tablespoons oil over medium-low heat, add bread cubes, toss and toast, stirring often until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan cook bacon until crispy. Drain on paper towels. Cool and break up into bite-sized pieces. Let grease cool and drain from pan.
- In the same skillet add the remaining two tablespoons of oil - heat over medium-low heat and saute onion until translucent then add garlic and tomatoes, saute 3-4 more minutes.
- Add arugula and put a lid on the pan. At this point cook the pasta according to package directions to al dente in plenty of salted water. After a few minutes stir the arugula into the tomato mixture, then remove to a large mixing bowl.
- In the same skillet whisk the milk, basil and Parmesan together, bring to a slow simmer and whisk until the mixture starts to thicken, then whisk in 1/4 cup of the pasta water. Remove from heat. Whisk in mayonnaise if desired or leave as is.
- Add the drained pasta to the mixing bowl along with the sauce and toss well. Toss in the bacon and bread cubes. Serve drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil and Parmesan cheese.
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved. No copying or duplication of any content (including photos) without the express written permission from the owner of this website.