A summer comfort meal with baked chicken, potatoes and zucchini in a buttery, lemony garlic sauce that is so delicious you might be tempted to drink it. But don’t because the sauce is what brings it all together.
The chicken and vegetables are baked in one pan with a little chicken broth, butter, garlic and lemon zest. The vegetables, especially the zucchini, soak up all those flavors and the chicken comes out tender and juicy.
Those same flavors are repeated again in the sauce that’s made stove top with more chicken broth, butter, garlic and lemon plus fresh parsley and heavy cream (or half & half). I told you it was good enough to drink.
It’s rich and creamy with a touch of tartness from the lemon that brightens everything up.
I love meals like this where everything is cooked in one pan so you can stick it in the oven and forget about it for a little while then come back during the last few minutes and make the sauce.
It might sound like a heavy meal for summer but it eats light thanks to the zucchini and lemon.
A summer comfort meal with baked chicken, potatoes and zucchini in a buttery, lemony garlic sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place the chicken breasts in a large roasting pan, big enough to hold the vegetables too (they don't have to be in a single layer). Season it well with salt and pepper.
- Add the vegetables to the pan with the lemon quarters (don't squeeze them) placing them all around the chicken. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
- Whisk the broth, butter and lemon zest together with a few good dashes each of salt and pepper. Pour it over the chicken.
- Bake about 40 - 45 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender. Toss the vegetables at the halfway mark.
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter over low heat and add the garlic with a dash of salt, cook until fragrant about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and then whisk in the half & half. Turn heat up to medium-high and bring to a simmer.
- In a small bowl whisk the cornstarch into 2 tablespoons water until dissolved. Add it slowly to the broth, whisking constantly. Bring to a simmer and cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the lemon zest, juice and parsley. Serve over the chicken and vegetables.
Copyright ©2014 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved