Colorful bell peppers stuffed with a skillet chicken ziti for a delicious twist that brings two classics together in a new way. The stuffing is made of diced tomato sauce, ricotta and mozzarella with vegetable rotini pasta and bites of tender chicken.
The filling comes together in a skillet and then gets stuffed into the peppers and baked. For ease you can use leftover or rotisserie chicken but if you don’t have either on hand it’s simple to bake up the chicken while you’re making the sauce and pasta.
If you’re looking for a way to shake up your baked ziti routine then this is a great way to do it. The natural sweetness of the peppers and the acidic tomatoes balance each other out and are perfect with the chicken and chewy pasta. Stuffing peppers is becoming routine in my house.
I love reinventing them.
Colorful bell peppers stuffed with a skillet chicken ziti for a delicious twist that brings two classics together in a new way. The stuffing is made of diced tomatoes, ricotta and mozzarella with vegetable rotini pasta and bites of tender chicken.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Season the chicken well with salt and pepper and bake until cooked through.
- Meanwhile in a large saucepan heat the oil over medium-low heat and saute the onion and garlic until softened. Add the tomatoes, Italian seasoning, about a teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Bring to a simmer and stir often.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta to al dente according to package directions.
- On a cutting board slice the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Turn off the sauce and remove about 3/4 cup of it - set it aside. Mix the ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella, Parmesan and half & half into the sauce. Stir in the chicken and cooked pasta.
- Lightly grease the bottom of a deep-sided roasting pan and spread the cup of sauce in the bottom. Spoon the filling into the peppers and set them in the roasting pan, if they're touching that's ok.
- Cover with foil and bake 25 - 30 minutes. Remove the foil and sprinkle the tops with mozzarella. Bake 10 - 15 more minutes.
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved