Baked tortillas stuffed with chicken, corn and cheddar cheese smothered in a mildly-spiced sour cream sauce and more cheese. One of my top comfort meals of all time.
The rich, creamy sauce deserves all the credit for making them decadent. It comes together in a matter of minutes using chicken broth, Rotel green chiles and tomatoes plus sour cream. My secret weapon.
The simple but delicious filling is made of chicken, corn, cheddar cheese and a little of the sauce for flavor. You need to use already cooked chicken for this – rotisserie chicken works great because it’s so tender and juicy.
For the cheese topping you can use whatever type you prefer – crumbled queso or feta, more cheddar or monterey jack. I’ve used a variety and they all work well. It just depends on what kind of mood you’re in.
As for me, I’m always in a cheesy mood. The more the better.
Baked tortillas stuffed with chicken, corn and cheddar cheese smothered in a mildly-spiced sour cream sauce and more cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- In a medium sauce pan melt the butter over medium-low heat, whisk in the flour and cook 3 - 4 minutes, stirring often. Whisk in the chicken broth and green chiles/tomatoes, turn heat up and bring to a simmer 4 minutes stirring often. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the sour cream.
- In a large bowl toss the chicken, corn, cheddar and 1/3 cup of the sauce together. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add a thin layer of sauce to the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Working one at a time place about 1/4 cup of the filling near the end of a tortilla and spread out like a log. Roll up and place seam side down in the dish. Repeat making a row of enchiladas and a second layer if necessary.
- Pour the sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 25 minutes until hot and bubbly. Remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions and serve with sour cream and/or guacamole.
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved.