I have a low-fat, low-sugar blueberry and banana coffeecake recipe to share today. It’s a lovely treat for breakfast, with a cup of tea for an afternoon snack or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert.
It comes together quickly and bakes up tall and fluffy dotted throughout with plump, juicy blueberries.
It’s not overly sweet with only 5 tablespoons of sugar. The banana does a really great job at sweetening it up and balancing out the tart blueberries.
Have you ever noticed that baking blueberries brings out their tartness? Even if they were quite sweet to begin with?
That’s why bananas and blueberries are a match made in heaven. A perfect balance of sweet and tart.
And did I mention there’s no oil? Just 4 tablespoons of butter in the entire cake.
You won’t miss any of the fat or sugar and you’re sure to love it!
A low-fat, low-sugar blueberry and banana infused coffee cake!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square deep-sided baking pan.
- Whisk 3/4 cup of the flour and the sugar in a medium bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two forks used scissor style until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside 1/2 cup of this mixture for the topping.
- Add 1 cup of flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well. Add eggs, milk and banana, mix just until incorporated, careful not to over mix.
- Toss the blueberries with the remaining 1 teaspoon of flour. Stir them in along with the walnuts.
- Pour into the prepared pan and sprinkle reserved topping evenly over top.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes until a toothpick in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
Adapted from The Bake Sale Cookbook
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved.