Big potatoes are baked until hot and tender then topped with an irresistible broccoli cheese sauce. The sauce turns a boring baked potato into something completely crave-worthy.
I love when I can use simple, basic ingredients to turn out something special like this.
The cheese sauce begins with a garlic bechamel sauce and is made with a combination of Gouda and extra sharp cheddar. Broccoli loves cheese and garlic. This I know to be true by the delicious outcome.
You might of had these before in a steakhouse and now you can easily make them at home!
This is a side dish that eats like a main and will steal the show no matter what you serve alongside it.
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F. Wash potatoes, prick with a fork a few times and wrap each one in aluminum foil. Bake until fork tender about 1 hour.
- About 40 minutes into potato cook time steam the broccoli until tender.
- When broccoli is cooked, melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat, add garlic and saute until fragrant, whisk in flour, cook for 2 to 3 minutes, whisking often.
- Turn heat up to medium and slowly whisk in milk. When the milk starts to boil add cheese and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat. Stir in cooked broccoli. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Turn off the heat and put a lid on the pan to keep warm until the potatoes are ready.
- To serve slice potatoes lengthwise and spoon a generous amount of broccoli cheese sauce over top. Garnish with bacon if desired.