Baked Broccoli Cheese Rice

Rice and broccoli florets swimming in a cheesy sauce and baked to a bubbly, golden brown.

This is my knock-off of broccoli-au-gratin-rice-in-a-box. You know, the San Francisco treat. The one I happily grew up on. Years ago I said my goodbyes to cut down on overly processed foods.

Purely by mistake, a box ended up in my groceries. . .

“Sorry” goes to the lady ahead of me in line. I owe you one.

True confession time. I was a little giddy when I found it.

It was like running into a best friend from high school you haven’t seen in years. Or something like that.

Not one to fight fate, I cooked and ate it, only to be disappointed. It was nothing like my memory. But all was not lost because it led me here.

A broccoli rice au gratin that will not disappoint! Super creamy and cheesy. The greatest comfort food.

Made fresh with good-for-you broccoli, brown rice, real cheese and milk.

You can’t box this.

Baked Broccoli Cheese Rice

Yield: 8 side dish servings

Baked Broccoli Cheese Rice

INGREDIENTS:

4 tablespoons butter, plus more for greasing pan
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon sea salt and a few cracks fresh black pepper
2 + 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1/3 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, shredded
3 cups cooked rice ( I used brown)
2 -3 cups cooked broccoli florets

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Grease a 9x13-inch casserole pan. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. In a large saucepan melt the butter over low heat; add garlic and saute until fragrant. Whisk in flour and cook 3-4 minutes, whisking constantly. Slowly whisk in milk, mustard and season with salt and pepper, bring to a simmer 4 minutes, whisking occasionally. Add 2 cups of cheddar cheese and parmesan; stir until mostly melted; remove from heat.
  3. Stir in rice and broccoli florets, pour into casserole pan, sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over top. Bake 30 minutes until bubbly and lightly golden on top. Allow to set 5 minutes before serving.

Comments

1. Anne says

Hi, I am an Okie from Oklahoma who live in Europe and have my thanksgiving on Sautrday as we must work tomorrow. I have never done this before but want to make this casserole. I have a cheese spread thing like cheese whizz and frozen broccoli that I bought. I can get fresh but I opted for frozen dotn know why. But I am told I can use frozen and raw rice and use it with the cheese in crock pot. What do you think and how will it come out?

• Marsha says

Reeni, I am homebound and handicapped, but also a foodie and former baker. I have to say that I visit alot of blogs and sites, and yours is definitely a favorite. Everything from the pictures, recipes, and text is top-notch. I am so glad that I happened upon this wonderful place…thank you!
        Marsha recently posted..Easy Iced Mint Chocolate FudgeMy Profile

Hi Marsha! You’re welcome and thanks to you for your sweet comment! It makes me so happy to hear that you’re enjoying my site! It makes my day brighter. Please keep in touch – I love hearing from you! Take care and have a Merry Christmas! :-)

• Marsha says

I just wanted to say hi! I’m an Okie in Oklahoma! We’re currently having an ice storm here in Central Oklahoma. I loved the broccoli rice casserole picture too! I told my husband that’s what I wanted for dinner. Hopefully tomorrow. Merry Christmas in Europe!

• Tamara Green says

I just had to comment being ANOTHER Okie…this one in Germany! :) We are making this today for Christmas Eve / Heiligabend. It is so wonderful to find recipes without processed foods from the U.S., as they are almost impossible to find here. Thank you…I am soooo looking forward to sharing this American classic with my German husband and family! :)

• Marsha Gillett says

Hi Tamara! Merry Christmas! I hope you had wonderful time celebrating the day in Germany. Long ago I spent some time in Germany, most of the time in Haffenprepach on a farm, and the rest of the time traveling. Please tell me about your meal if you have a minute. God bless!

2. Rachel Haight says

That is the BEST looking broccoli cheese and rice casserole I have ever seen. I’m so in love with what I call “brown cheese.” I’m making your slow-cooker chicken enchilada soup literally right now (it’s cooking and smelling awesome) but I think I’ll have to make this tomorrow. I haven’t even read the recipe – I just got completely fixated on the photo! Thank you for the great recipes and kiss Moon…what a gorgeous kitty! :)

Thanks for the sweet comment Rachel! I hope the soup is a hit – you’ll have to let me know if you make the rice too. Moon loves kisses and says thank-you too and sends one back!:-)

• Rachel Haight says

Awww…thank you Reeni and Moon! I will definitely let you know how the rice turns outs when I make it later this week! We’re about to dig into the soup and it is FANTASTIC!!! One of the best soups I have ever eaten or made! Thank you so much for sharing! I’ll have to comment on that recipe so that everyone can know how delish it is! ;)

3. stacie says

Thanks for this recipe! We always have a dish like this for holidays in the States. This year I am far away for the holidays but want this for our holiday meals. I was thrilled to find a recipe that does not call for processed cheese, can’t find any in Australia! Wondering how you think this would work in a slow cooker? Thanks!

Hi Stacie! I think this would work out fine in a slow cooker! It will probably be creamier and it won’t have the crusty top but I think it would be every bit as delicious!

4. Rachel Haight says

I made this night before last and it was a huge hit with my family! It tasted every bit as awesome as it looked in your photos! YUM! I shared this with a friend who is vegetarian and she added cauliflower and quinoa. I added cauliflower and a little chopped onion to the broccoli while cooking because I just love a little onion flavor. Hers and mine both turned out fantastic. Thank you for sharing your recipes! I’m excited to try so many of them! Next up this weekend – mashed potato puffs! :) Give Moon a pet and a kiss please! Have a great weekend!

Hi Rachel! I’m so glad both you and your friend liked it! I love the idea of adding cauliflower – and quinoa too! I just bought some gorgeous heads of fresh cauliflower and was thinking of using it with quinoa somehow. Thanks so much for trying my recipes! Let me know how your puffs turn out. Moon sends kisses back! Hope you’re enjoying your weekend! :-)

5. Karen Pineau says

Reeni -I just found your site and I’m amazed how many recipes I am dying to try. What a delicious blog! If it weren’t 10:45 I’d be out in the kitchen whipping up something. I’m having 18 people coming for a post Christmas Christmas party and some of them are vegetarian. Got a recipes for a great veggie lasagne? If not, I’m making the broccoli, cheese, and brown rice. I think this will be wonderful too. – Karen p.s. love to Moon

Hi Karen! Thanks for your sweet comment! I have artichoke spinach chicken lasagna you can make without the chicken. The broccoli cheese rice is a great pick too! One of my most popular recipes and personal favorite. I’d love it if you kept in touch and let me know how it turns out! Merry Christmas! Moon sends kitty kisses.