Baked Broccoli Cheese Rice

Rice and broccoli florets swimming in a cheesy sauce and baked to a bubbly, golden brown.

This is my knock-off of broccoli-au-gratin-rice-in-a-box. You know, the San Francisco treat. The one I happily grew up on. Years ago I said my goodbyes to cut down on overly processed foods.

Purely by mistake, a box ended up in my groceries. . .

“Sorry” goes to the lady ahead of me in line. I owe you one.

True confession time. I was a little giddy when I found it.

It was like running into a best friend from high school you haven’t seen in years. Or something like that.

Not one to fight fate, I cooked and ate it, only to be disappointed. It was nothing like my memory. But all was not lost because it led me here.

A broccoli rice au gratin that will not disappoint! Super creamy and cheesy. The greatest comfort food.

Made fresh with good-for-you broccoli, brown rice, real cheese and milk.

You can’t box this.

Baked Broccoli Cheese Rice

Yield: 8 side dish servings

Baked Broccoli Cheese Rice

4 tablespoons butter, plus more for greasing pan
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon sea salt and a few cracks fresh black pepper
2 + 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1/3 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, shredded
3 cups cooked rice ( I used brown)
2 -3 cups cooked broccoli florets

Instructions:

1. Grease a 9x13-inch casserole pan. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. In a large saucepan melt the butter over low heat; add garlic and saute until fragrant. Whisk in flour and cook 3-4 minutes, whisking constantly. Slowly whisk in milk, mustard and season with salt and pepper, bring to a simmer 4 minutes, whisking occasionally. Add 2 cups of cheddar cheese and parmesan; stir until mostly melted; remove from heat.
  3. Stir in rice and broccoli florets, pour into casserole pan, sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over top. Bake 30 minutes until bubbly and lightly golden on top. Allow to set 5 minutes before serving.

Comments

1. natalya says

Just made this for my bf and I. We loved it :) Added tuna to make it a meal, used basmati rice, and added some cayenne for a little more kick. Thank you for sharing! :)

2. Kacey says

I made this for my girls and they absolutely loved it. My oldest has requested it as a side for the Thanksgiving table. Just wondering, do you think this would work well if made the night before and refrigerated until the next morning? Would I just throw it in the oven to heat it back up?

Hi Kacey! That is so great to hear! I think it would work out ok if you reheated it in the oven. I might add just a little extra milk when you make it so it doesn’t dry out too much when you reheat it and reheat it on a lower temp too. Happy Thanksgiving!

Hi Sara! You can use cooked chicken – shredded or cubed – a rotisserie chicken would work good. You probably want around 2 cups. Mix it in along with the broccoli and rice then bake as directed.

3. trey says

I tried this yesterday and fell in love with it I did add some chicken and ended up making a huge pot of it ..I ate 3/4 of it and I gave my puppy the rest ..we both loved it thank you so much I think this is going to be a weekly thing for a while

Thanks Trey! This is the first time I’ve heard of anyone feeding one of my recipes to their dog! I’m happy to have his seal of approval. Haha.

4. AJ Thomas says

We gave this a try last night. Yum! This is the first casserole type dish that I made that didn’t turn into a goopy mess. Is definitely being added to our meal rotation.
    AJ Thomas recently posted..Merry ChristmasMy Profile

5. Eunice says

Can this be made ahead? I’d like to put it together a day prior, then pop it in the oven when in ready to serve it.

Hi Eunice! I’m afraid if you make it ahead of time without cooking it the sauce may “break” or separate – it won’t come out as creamy and may even be watery. You could cook the rice the day before and measure everything else out to have ready to make for a quicker assembly. Or you could cook it then reheat it the next day although it won’t be as good as if you made it fresh. Hope this helps! Merry Christmas!