Baked Broccoli Cheese Rice

Rice and broccoli florets swimming in a cheesy sauce and baked to a bubbly, golden brown.

This is my knock-off of broccoli-au-gratin-rice-in-a-box. You know, the San Francisco treat. The one I happily grew up on. Years ago I said my goodbyes to cut down on overly processed foods.

Purely by mistake, a box ended up in my groceries. . .

“Sorry” goes to the lady ahead of me in line. I owe you one.

True confession time. I was a little giddy when I found it.

It was like running into a best friend from high school you haven’t seen in years. Or something like that.

Not one to fight fate, I cooked and ate it, only to be disappointed. It was nothing like my memory. But all was not lost because it led me here.

A broccoli rice au gratin that will not disappoint! Super creamy and cheesy. The greatest comfort food.

Made fresh with good-for-you broccoli, brown rice, real cheese and milk.

You can’t box this.

Baked Broccoli Cheese Rice

Yield: 8 side dish servings

Baked Broccoli Cheese Rice

4 tablespoons butter, plus more for greasing pan
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon sea salt and a few cracks fresh black pepper
2 + 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1/3 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, shredded
3 cups cooked rice ( I used brown)
2 -3 cups cooked broccoli florets

Instructions:

1. Grease a 9x13-inch casserole pan. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. In a large saucepan melt the butter over low heat; add garlic and saute until fragrant. Whisk in flour and cook 3-4 minutes, whisking constantly. Slowly whisk in milk, mustard and season with salt and pepper, bring to a simmer 4 minutes, whisking occasionally. Add 2 cups of cheddar cheese and parmesan; stir until mostly melted; remove from heat.
  3. Stir in rice and broccoli florets, pour into casserole pan, sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over top. Bake 30 minutes until bubbly and lightly golden on top. Allow to set 5 minutes before serving.

Comments

1. Sue Kment says

Made this for dinner tonight…totally delish-next time will add chicken and dinner will be complete!!! As good as the picture looks!

Hi Michelle! I don’t see why not! It would have to be cooked already. . . shredded rotisserie chicken would be great!

2. Samie says

I been so looking for something like this! I altered it to my own taste, but this is awesome! Im not an awesome cook, i just got married and moved into our own first house, so i have time and room to cook, so i been looking for something simple to cook, to kinda start me off, i love this idea! Thank you very much! Yummly.com is a great site with great ppl and ideas!

3. Nanci says

Let’s see…1pan for cooking the sauce, 1pan for cooking rice, 1 pan for cooking broccoli, and a casserole dish for baking. Too many dirty dishes to wash. I’m too lazy for this one. Sounds delicious though.

Hi Nanci! You could cook the broccoli in with the rice – in a steamer basket or right in the pan with it. That would save you one pan anyways. Plus you are almost certain to have leftovers for the next night. I was going to do a stove top version using one pan – I’ll work on it for you!

4. diane h. says

This was delicious. I just made it and used cooked quinoa instead of the rice because I had some in the fridge that I wasn’t sure what to do with. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

5. Shannon says

I lost a recipe that my daughter loved. I think this one may be a good replacement. To make all the dirty pans worthwhile, double the batch and cook in muffin tins, pop out once cooled and freeze in a Ziploc freezer bag for future meals or lunches.

6. Jessica says

Making the dish tonight. :-) I haven’t tried it yet, but it smells amazing from the oven! My cat even walked in to see what the smell was.