I’m a former mustard-hater-turned-lover who grew up loathing the yellow mustard and the occasional spicy brown Grey Poupon that showed up in our fridge so this was my chance at redemption. I did it for the mustard.
The challenge was to make a diet friendly recipe using mustard. Mustard is low in fat and calories and one of the quickest ways to add flavor to just about anything.
Fresh cauliflower florets are used to make these bites. They are dipped in dijon-seasoned egg whites then coated with parmesan cheese bread crumbs and baked to a golden brown.
The rich cheddar mustard sauce for dipping is made with dijon mustard and 50% reduced fat cheddar cheese.
One serving of a cup and a half of cauliflower florets with 1/3 cup of the cheddar mustard is 7 points plus on the Weight Watchers plan.
You can dunk your little heart out without ruining your health plan.
Crispy, oven-fried cauliflower bites with a cheddar mustard dipping sauce.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly coat a large baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a wide, shallow dish whisk the egg whites, mustard, water and a couple pinches each of salt and pepper together. In a separate, wide shallow dish combine the panko, bread crumbs, parmesan and Italian seasoning together.
- Dip the florets one at a time by holding onto the stalk end first into the egg mixture allowing excess to drip off then into the bread crumbs twirling them to coat evenly all the way around. Place on baking sheet. Repeat until all are coated. Discard any leftover egg and bread crumb mixtures.
- Bake 20-26 minutes or until a fork pokes into them easily and the outsides are lightly golden.
- To make the sauce whisk the milk, mustard and flour together in a small sauce pan over medium-high heat; bring to a simmer whisking often. Reduce heat to low, stir in cheddar cheese and parsley and continue stirring until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Each serving is 7 points plus on the Weight Watchers Plan.
Copyright ¬©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved. No copying or duplication of any content (including photos) without the express written permission from the owner of this website.