A delicious cornbread studded with grated zucchini and sharp cheddar cheese. Great companions for cornbread.
Tucked inside bread is one of the best places for zucchini! Mainly it adds moisture and tenderness making dry cornbread a thing of the past. You can’t really taste it because there’s not much flavor in it to begin with.
Just knowing it’s in there is good enough for me. Zucchini bread is one my favorite things in the entire world. It’s great with eggs, chili or just on its own lightly toasted with butter.
I like it anyway I can get it.
A delicious cornbread studded with grated zucchini and cheddar cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter a standard loaf pan or a 9" round or square baking pan.
- Melt the butter and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile trim off the zucchini ends and thinly slice 6 or 7 rounds off the end for garnish. Coarsely grate the rest on the large holes of a box grater. Add it to the middle of a clean kitchen towel and gently ring out some (you don't need to get it all out) of the water.
- Into a large bowl sift both flours, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together.
- Whisk the eggs and buttermilk into the cooled butter then stir in the zucchini then the cheese.
- Add the zucchini mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined - the batter will be thick.
- Transfer to the prepared pan and smooth out the top. Arrange the zucchini slices over top.
- Bake until golden and a tester inserted into center comes out clean, 55-65 minutes for a loaf pan 40 - 50 minutes for a round or square pan.
Adapted from Bon Appetit
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved.