Just when I thought I had run out of ideas for soup I saw some Guy on The Food Network eating Cheeseburger soup. Perfect. I come from a strong stock of burger lovers as well as soup lovers so it was only natural I embrace a burger soup.
This soup has all the traditional toppings a cheeseburger has and some not so traditional. There’s ground meat, spinach for the lettuce, fresh tomatoes, onions and bell peppers surrounded by a cheddar cheese infused broth, extra cheese on top and the optional bacon crumbles.
There’s a surprise too. Elbow macaroni. One cannot live on burgers alone. Potatoes would be good instead. Then you’d have cheeseburger and fries soup. Tee-hee. In theory it doesn’t sound the least bit appealing but in reality nothing could be farther from the truth.
Here’s what happens when a giant cheeseburger collides with a pot of broth.
Cheeseburger in a bowl. It’s a good thing.
A soup full of all the traditional toppings a cheeseburger has along with the not so traditional. There's ground meat, spinach for the lettuce, fresh tomatoes, onions, bell peppers and macaroni surrounded by a cheddar cheese infused broth and bacon crumbles.
- In a large soup pot or sauce pan brown ground beef over medium heat breaking it apart as it cooks. Season well with salt and pepper. Remove to a dish and drain off any grease.
- In the same pan cook the peppers, onion and garlic in a few tablespoons of oil over medium-low heat, seasoning well with salt and pepper, the oregano and thyme. Stir often, cook until tender about 10 minutes.
- Add beef back to the pot along with broth and parsley. Simmer 20 minutes and season as needed.
- Meanwhile cook elbows according to package directions to al dente. Drain and toss with a drizzle of oil to prevent sticking.
- Stir spinach into the pot along with 2/3 of the cheese simmer until spinach is wilted and cheese is completely melted, stirring often.
- To serve add a few spoons of elbows to the bowl first and ladle soup over top, garnish with the remaining cheese and crumbled bacon if desired