Chicken pillows are usually made with crescent rolls but I gave them a makeover by using puff pastry instead. I love breaking rules.
Layers of buttery, flaky, melt-in-your-mouth pastry wraps around a decadent chicken, broccoli and cream cheese filling that is crusted with Parmesan cheese then topped with a cheddar cheese gravy.
They’re ridiculously easy to make especially if you already have cooked chicken on hand. It’s a great way to re-purpose leftovers into an entirely different meal. No one will even know. Rotisserie chicken is perfect for this too.
If you never worked with puff pastry before – don’t worry – there’s nothing tricky to it. Just remember to thaw it ahead of time.
Layers of buttery, flaky, melt-in-your-mouth pastry wrapped around a decadent chicken, broccoli and cream cheese filling that is crusted with Parmesan cheese and topped with a white cheddar gravy.
- In a large bowl mix the cream cheese and sour cream together. Mix in the onion, chicken, broccoli, salt and pepper.
- Spread the puff pastry out on a lightly floured surface. Cut each sheet into 4 squares. Working one at a time heap 1/4 of the chicken mixture onto 4 of the squares leaving a 1-inch border around the edges.
- Brush the border with the beaten egg and top each one with a pastry square, stretching it out slightly to fit over the filling. Press the edges together well with your hands to seal then repeat with a fork all the way around.
- Lightly brush them all over with the egg then sprinkle with fresh grated parmesan cheese.
- Place them on a large, parchment lined baking sheet and refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake 20 - 22 minutes until golden brown all over.
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium-low heat and stir in the butter, cook one minute then whisk in the broth. Turn heat up to medium-high and bring to simmer, cook 2 minutes. Mix in the cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- Let them set five minutes before serving. Cut each one in half and serve with a few ladles of cheese.
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved