When I think of fajitas I think of colorful, crunchy bell pepper strips as being the center of attention. You absolutely cannot make a fajita without them. Then it’s just a taco.
This hearty and delicious fajita soup has two kinds of peppers, onions and chicken plus black beans, corn and rice to give it some substance. A soup needs more than just peppers and chicken even if it is named after a fajita.
I also add a little cheddar cheese and top it with sour cream and tortilla chips. I like to crush them up and mix them right in like croutons. Just like a fajita, the toppings really make it shine so don’t skip them.
The rich, rusty color comes from the fajita seasonings – chili powder, smoked paprika and cumin. If you don’t have smoked paprika – get some! Or just use sweet paprika. . .Boo. . .Smoked has a ton more flavor.
This is how I get my fajita fix without having to order them in a restaurant! I kind of hate that because they sizzle so loud and smoke all over the place like a chimney making everyone stare and stare and stare some more at you. I’m surprised the smoke alarm doesn’t go off.
Chicken fajita soup makes perfect sense when there’s snow up to your windows and drifts past your head. . .With more on the way.
One needs comfort and soup is the It Girl.
|Chicken Fajita Soup with Black Beans & Rice|| |
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked or sweet paprika
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, optional
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14 ounce) black beans, rinsed well in a colander
- 1 + ½ cups corn
- ¾ cup white Minute rice (or 1 cup cooked rice)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for serving
- sour cream, for serving
- tortilla chips, for serving
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized cubes. Season well with salt and pepper.
- In a Dutch oven or soup pot heat a tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook on all sides. Remove to a bowl or dish. Drain the pan.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to the pan set over medium-low heat and cook the onions, peppers and garlic, stirring often until they start to soften.
- Add the chicken back to the pot with 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper and all the spices. Toss to coat the chicken and vegetables well.
- Stir in the chicken broth, 1 cup of bottled water, the black beans and corn. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often about 25 minutes.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper or spices if needed. Stir in the rice and cook 5 - 10 minutes longer.
- Stir in the cheese. Serve garnished with more cheese, a dollop of sour cream and crushed chips/chips for scooping/dipping.