Chunks of chicken are simmered in tomato sauce until tender and tossed with chewy, twirly spaghetti noodles in this classic family recipe I’ve been eating my entire life.
The sauce has onion, garlic, lots of Italian seasoning and two types of peppers in it – green bell and fire roasted red peppers because I love lots of peppers in my chicken sauce. They’re so delicious together – the peppers are kind of sweet against the acidic backdrop of the tomatoes and add a ton of flavor that plays well with chicken.
This is just the kind of dish you want to curl up with in the middle of a snow storm. Or make for a Sunday supper when the entire family has time to eat together. It’s also easy enough for a weeknight meal.
Chunks of chicken are simmered in tomato sauce until tender and tossed with chewy, twirly spaghetti noodles in this classic family recipe I've been eating my entire life.
- In a large Dutch oven or saucepan heat 2 - 3 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add the onion, peppers and garlic. Season with salt, pepper and about 1 teaspoon of the Italian seasoning. Cook, stirring often until they start to soften about 10 minutes.
- Season the chicken well with salt and pepper and add to the pan with the vegetables. Add the remaining teaspoon Italian seasoning and cook, stirring often until the chicken is white on all sides.
- Push the chicken and vegetables to the sides of the pan and add the tomato paste to the center. Let it cook for a minute in the center before mixing the vegetables and chicken into it.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, bay leaf and season again with more salt - about a teaspoon and black pepper - about 1/4 teaspoon. Mix in 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer.
- Maintain a simmer for about 35 - 45 minutes, stirring often. Taste and season the sauce, if needed, halfway through. If it seems too thick mix a little more water into it. If it's highly acidic mix a teaspoon of sugar into it. Remove and discard the bay leaf before serving.
- Cook the pasta in plenty of salted, boiling water to al dente according to package directions. Drain and mix with sauce just to coat. Serve topped with more sauce and lots of Parmesan cheese.
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved