Super fudgy brownies baked cupcake-style and topped with a creamy peanut butter frosting. Pure and utter decadence.
They have melted chocolate and chocolate chips in the batter along with a half ton each of butter and brown sugar. In the world of rich desserts they would easily be crowned king. Or queen.
They bake up flat and therefore perfect for frosting with the same tell-tale crackly tops as brownie bars. The sign of any good brownie.
With a sweet and salty peanut butter frosting they’re like giant Reese’s cups. Disguised as cake. A reason to celebrate. Eat two.
If, like me, you possess a major sweet tooth with stubborn cravings that are hard to appease. . .
Then say hello to my little
brownie cupcake. You’ve met your match.
Super rich and fudgy brownies baked up cupcake-style and topped with a creamy peanut butter frosting.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line one 12-cup and one 6-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Melt chocolate and butter together in top of large double boiler or in large bowl in microwave using the melt chocolate setting; stir until smooth and combined, then cool to lukewarm.
- Whisk in brown sugar until well blended, then eggs one at a time, whisking until completely absorbed before adding the next. Whisk in vanilla extract and salt.
- Toss the nuts and chocolate chips in the flour, add to batter and fold until completely combined.
- Lightly spray the cupcake liners with non-stick spray and use an ice cream scoop to fill dividing batter evenly among each (about 3/4 of the way full). Bake about 25 minutes or until a toothpick in center shows some moist crumbs, and the tops are dry and crackly.
- Cool pans on wire racks for 5-10 minutes, then remove cupcakes to wire racks to cool completely.
- Beat peanut butter and butter together on medium speed until creamy and well combined. Beat in vanilla.
- Add confectioners sugar a cup at a time alternating with a tablespoon of heavy cream until it reaches a spreadable consistency (not too thin or thick, when you lift the beater it shouldn't drip right off). Beat 3-4 minutes longer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Frost cupcakes immediately.
Adapted from A Field Guide to Cupcakes by Dede Wilson