Delectable pancakes with chocolate chips and shredded zucchini folded into the batter, served the traditional way with butter and maple syrup for a whole new spin on breakfast.
Up until a few years ago I hated zucchini. Loathed is more fitting. I had only ever had soggy, tasteless zucchini. I wouldn’t even touch zucchini bread. Imagine that. Am I the only one in the world to turn down zucchini bread?!
That all changed the day my Mom plunked a dish of deep-fried zucchini, grown in her own garden, down in front of me. As fate would have it I immediately fell in love and vowed never to go without again. I would find new and inventive ways to incorporate this delicious vegetable into my life. Forever.
Anywho, when I spotted these pancakes in the current copy of Eating Well I wasted no time whipping them right up. With my own special twist of course. Chocolate chips. Semi-sweet and white chocolate. I bet butterscotch or peanut butter would be great to.
Just don’t skimp and if you have a zucchini hater in your life. . . feed them a big stack of these and you just might rock their world. Forever.
Delectable pancakes with chocolate chips and shredded zucchini folded into the batter.
- Wring the water out of the zucchini in a clean kitchen towel by twisting over the sink.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, milk, butter, brown sugar and vanilla together.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet. Stir to combine then mix in the zucchini.
- Heat a large cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium-low heat and grease with butter. Working in batches pour scant 1/3 cups for each pancake into the pan and dot the uncooked top all over with chocolate chips. When the edges begin to look dry and cooked and bubbles dot the top - flip and cook until golden on the other side.
- Serve hot with butter, maple syrup and/or whipped cream.
Adapted from Eating Well Magazine August 2013
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved.