Chocolate cupcakes are topped with a sticky-sweet marshmallow frosting for a tempting and irresistible treat. Light and fluffy, like miniature clouds, they will go far in curing your chocolate or sweets craving!
The cupcakes are easy to make and use Dutch-processed cocoa to inject chocolate flavor into these sweet babies. The result is a moist and airy chocolate delight!
The marshmallow or meringue frosting is made by beating egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar together for 7 minutes over a double-boiler. It’s like marshmallow fluff in a more spreadable form. Thick and gooey, it is the perfect companion for a chocolate cupcake!
Chocolate cupcakes are topped with a sticky-sweet marshmallow frosting for a tempting and irresistible treat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup pan and a 6-cup pan with paper liners.
- In a small bowl whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt together.
- In a large bowl beat butter until cream with an electric beater about 2 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, scrape down bowl, beat in vanilla. Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping down after each addition. Add the flour mixture in four additions, alternately with the milk. Begin and end with the flour mixture and beat briefly until smooth on low speed after each addition.
- Evenly divide batter among pans. Bake for about 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center shows a few moist crumbs.
- Cool pan on rack for 5 minutes then remove cupcakes to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Combine egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar and water in top of double boiler. Beat on high speed 1 minute with electric mixer.
- Place over boiling water (water should not touch bottom of pan); beat on high speed 7 minutes. Remove pan from boiling water; add vanilla. Beat 2 minutes longer on high speed. Refrigerate for 20 minutes to allow it to set up.
- Store frosted cupcakes and unused frosting in the refrigerator.
Adapted from Dede Wilson
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved. No copying or duplication of any content (including photos) without the express written permission from the owner of this website.