Fresh chorizo sausage tossed with nutty chickpeas and pasta in a spicy broth. It’s a cinch to make, comes together easily and aside from boiling the pasta is made in one skillet. The recipe itself is relatively simple being the chorizo brings a ton of bold flavor to the party. It doesn’t need a whole lot more than that in the way of seasoning.
I love this time of the year when I can start stocking up my pasta cabinet again and my Dutch Oven has a permanent place on top of the stove ready for conjuring up an impromptu soup or stew. Tis’ the season for comfort food and it’s a long one. Happy dance.
The light sauce is made with chicken broth, tomato paste and red pepper flakes plus lots of flavor from the chorizo as it simmers away in the broth. The chickpeas are unexpected but totally work with the chewy pasta and the spicy sausage.
This is a great way to kick-off the season! I’m left dreaming of all the comfort food yet to come. . .
Fresh chorizo sausage tossed with nutty chickpeas and pasta in a spicy broth.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the sausage. Cook, turning to brown well on all sides. Remove to a cutting board.
- Add the remaining tablespoon oil to the same pan along with the onions, cook until softened, stirring often about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and red pepper flakes, cook for one minute then stir in the broth. Season with about 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few turns of fresh pepper.
- Slice the sausage into 1/2-inch wide rounds and add to the broth. Bring to a simmer and simmer slowly 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta to al dente in plenty of salted water. Before draining set aside 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- Add the chickpeas and drained pasta to the skillet along with the parsley and the pasta water. Reduce heat to low and stir gently until the chickpeas are heated through and everything is coated with sauce about 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with Parmesan cheese.
Adapted from Bon Appetit
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved