I wanted to make you an early Valentine treat. Something to say I appreciate you from the bottom of my heart. So. . . I did. With cinnamon red hots. Remember them? Nothing says I love you better.
Sugar cookie bars with zingy candy red hots baked into the batter with a more than generous layer of cream cheese frosting to top them off.
If you’re a fan of sugar cookies these will make you happy with more sugar cookie flavor to love baked into every single last bite.
You can use cinnamon red hots a.k.a. cinnamon imperials or hot tamales. Red hots will melt into the batter more than the hot tamales. The hot tamales stay chewy.
These are festive little treats for Valentine’s Day!
Cinnamon red hot love.
Sugar cookie bars with zingy candy red hots baked into the batter and frosted with a generous layer of cream cheese frosting.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease an 8x8-inch pan or line with parchment first, then grease.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each egg, then beat in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and beat on low speed until just combined. Stir in the red hots.
- Spread out evenly in pan and bake 22 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick in center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting beat the cream cheese and butter together on medium speed until light and fluffy 3 - 4 minutes. Add confectioners' sugar one cup at a time beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and continue beating until frosting is thick and fluffy 3 - 4 minutes.
- Frost bars and cut into squares with a large chef's knife wiping the knife clean after each cut.