Tacos piled on top of warm cornbread waffles in place of the traditional tortillas or crunchy tacos. A fun twist on a favorite that never grows old.
You can eat these with a knife and fork or fold them like a taco shell and pick them up. The cornbread waffles are hearty enough to stand up to all the toppings. Crispy with soft insides they have great flavor and texture.
I love the spicy meat with the soft, doughy waffle. It’s something new I never had before but at the same time is familiar.
My family was like. . .What? Waffle. . .Tacos? Yep. Waffle tacos. They were hesitant at first and maybe even a little confused but turns out they were a big hit.
Using something everyone loves – a waffle – is an easy and surprising way to spice up your taco night! This may be the norm in my house from here on out.
Hmmm. . . now what else can I turn into a waffle?!
Tacos piled on top of warm cornbread waffles in place of the traditional tortillas or crunchy tacos!
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Add the milk, oil, and eggs then stir until combined.
- Make the waffles. To keep them warm: place on a baking sheet in the oven set on a very low heat until ready to eat.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet heat the oil for the tacos over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and cook 5 minutes until onion is translucent. Remove to a small bowl.
- In the same skillet brown the ground beef over medium heat breaking it apart as it cooks. Remove from heat and drain off the grease.
- Place the pan back over medium heat and add the taco seasoning with 2/3 cup water plus the onion mixture. Cook, stirring often 6 - 8 minutes.
- Serve over the waffles (we stacked 2 waffles per taco) with your favorite toppings.
Waffles adapted from Paula Deen
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved.