A thick and creamy soup with potatoes, carrots, sour cream, Swiss cheese and dill pickles! The stars of the show.
There’s both chopped dill pickles and pickle juice. Don’t be scared. It sounds highly unusual but it’s also highly delicious!
One would think you need to have an immense love for pickles to so much as even like this soup but you’d be wrong. While, yes, there’s pickle to be tasted in every single bite there’s other flavors too. They meld together in a surprising way.
With sweet dill, melty Swiss cheese, a touch of tangy sour cream and creamy potatoes to help balance out the sour, salty pickle flavor. Let me tell you one thing I learned is pickles love potatoes. They make a happy couple.
The starchy potatoes help thicken up the soup and at the same time take away some of that saltiness you would expect. Did you know potatoes can soak up excess salt when you’ve added too much to a soup, stew or chile? Simply float a few hunks of potato in it and discard them when ready to eat.
So, yes, I’m here to tell you dill pickle soup works. I don’t know how it just does.
A thick and creamy soup with potatoes, carrots, sour cream, Swiss cheese and dill pickles! The stars of the show!
- In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan or soup pot heat 2 tablespoon of oil over medium-low heat. Saute onion with a dash of salt and pepper until translucent, stirring often. Add garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Stir in the broth, pickle juice, potatoes, carrots, pickles and dill. Season lightly to taste with salt and pepper.
- Simmer 20 - 25 minutes until potatoes are fork tender. Remove 1 cup of the soup and puree with a stick blender or in a stand blender and return back to the soup pot. Turn heat down to low.
- Stir in sour cream and Swiss cheese, keep stirring until cheese melts.
- Serve garnished with chopped pickles and a sprinkle of cheese.
Adapted from Food Network
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved.