Fluffy scrambled eggs with spicy, pan-fried peppers, onions and tomatoes. A classic recipe from the Basque region of France. Fancy schmancy.
Thinly sliced green bell peppers, roasted red peppers, a jalapeno, onion, garlic and fresh chopped tomatoes seasoned with thyme and paprika are cooked in a skillet until soft, tender and juicy.
It’s mildly spiced using one jalapeno pepper but you can add another if you like it even spicier. You can also throw in a pinch or two of red pepper flakes.
To make super creamy. rich scrambled eggs I like to add a little heavy cream to them. To make them fluffy push them into the center of the pan as they cook and they will be like light, puffy clouds.
Serve with hot buttered toast or crusty bread for scooping.
Makes a tasty brunch, lunch or even brinner. Breakfast for dinner.
|Eggs Piperade|| |
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jarred fire roasted red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, minced, seeds removed
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- sea or kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- 8 eggs
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- butter, for cooking the eggs
- fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- toast or crusty bread, for serving
- In a medium frying pan heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, both peppers and jalapeno.
- Cook, stirring often until the peppers are soft about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, thyme, paprika and a couple dashes of salt and pepper.
- Cook 8 - 10 minutes stirring often. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the eggs, heavy cream and a dash of salt together until well combined.
- Heat a separate large non-stick frying pan over medium heat and melt a pat or two of butter in the pan.
- Pour in the eggs. When the edges begin to get firm use a spatula or wooden spoon to push them into the center of the pan.
- Repeat until the eggs are cooked through.
- Garnish the eggs with parsley and serve with the pepper mixture and toast or crusty bread.