I made these irresistible coffee cake muffins for Brandy of Nutmeg Nanny, who is hosting this week’s Blogger Secret Ingredient (BSI) with coffee being the secret ingredient. I though I would be clever and make a coffee cake muffin with actual coffee flavoring.
They have a soft and tender crumb with a texture more like cake than muffin but without being overly sweet. To make them extra special I not only gave them a crumb topping but a sweet and sticky glaze too. The glaze has brown sugar and coffee in it which gives them a rich caramel coffee flavor. I had the urge to eat the tops of all of them!
These will have you eager to get out of bed in the morning.
The perfect little breakfast muffins with a wake-me-up boost.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl use a fork to combine the sugar, flour and butter. Mix in the almonds and refrigerate.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a small, separate bowl dissolve the espresso in the boiling water. Add to flour mixture with the butter, egg, milk, and vanilla.
- Stir until just combined - don’t over mix. Batter will be thick. Fill a muffin tin/baking cups 3/4 of the way.
- Crumble up the topping and sprinkle it over the muffins, pressing it gently into the batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Dissolve the espresso in the boiling water in a small bowl. Add the brown sugar and use a fork to combine the two. Add a drop of vanilla.
- Add the confectioners sugar and 2 teaspoons of the milk. Whisk until well combined. If glaze is very thick add another teaspoon of milk. Whisk. Drizzle over the warm muffins.
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved.