Veggie burgers packed with all the Mediterranean flavors of falafel and smothered in a chunky feta tzatziki sauce. You can eat them on soft buns or tucked inside pita bread with a generous dollop of the luscious sauce.
Falafel are deep-fried balls or patties made with ground chickpeas and seasoned with spices like cumin, coriander and parsley. These burgers stay true to those flavors with one noticeable difference. Because they are lightly pan-fried in olive oil they don’t have the same crunchy outsides as their deep-fried counterparts.
This makes them easier to cook, lower in fat yet still every bit as good. All the flavors adored in falafel are present. Front and center.
The chunky tzatziki sauce has diced cucumber and salty feta cheese in a base of Greek yogurt with sweet dill and touches of lemon and garlic.
The cool sauce spooned over the hot burgers works in mysteriously delicious ways. The burgers without it just wouldn’t be the same. Don’t tempt fate.
I’m on one of my veggie burger kicks again. Major. Big-time. A parade of veggie burger recipes is yet to come.
Hope you’re with me.
|Falafel Burgers with Feta Tzatziki Sauce|| |
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- ½ cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced small
- ⅓ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 teaspoon dried or fresh dill
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- ⅔ cup red onion, chopped
- ⅓ cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 (15½-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅔ cup seasoned breadcrumbs, divided
- olive oil, for pan-frying
- for serving:
- pitas or soft buns
- spinach or romaine lettuce
- sliced tomatoes
- In a medium bowl combine all tzatziki ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate.
- To make the burgers add ⅓ cup onion, parsley, lemon, cumin, coriander, salt, chickpeas and garlic to the bowl of a large food processor. Pulse until well combined and chickpeas are mostly smooth, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally.
- Add the beans to a bowl and stir in the remaining ⅓ cup red onion and ⅓ cup of the bread crumbs. Put the remaining ⅓ cup bread crumbs into a shallow dish.
- Make 6 equal-sized ½-inch thick patties and dredge both sides in the bread crumbs.
- Liberally cover the bottom of a large skillet with oil and heat over medium heat. Cook burgers in batches 3 at a time about 4 minutes each side until lightly golden brown.
- Serve tucked into pitas or on soft buns with feta tzatziki sauce, spinach leaves and tomatoes. Slice burgers in half before serving.
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano
All Rights Reserved.