French toast roll-ups have hot, gooey fillings stuffed into the middle of them with golden-brown, buttery outsides coated in a sweet, crunchy cinnamon sugar that all but melts in your mouth.
To make the roll-ups the crusts get trimmed from sandwich bread then the slices are flattened out with a rolling pin. The flattened bread is then rolled with the filling of your choice and cooked in a buttery skillet just like regular french toast.
A generous dusting of cinnamon sugar, one of the best things on earth, finishes them and you can dunk them in maple syrup or eat them as is. They’re also good eaten at room temperature.
The filling consists of anything your little heart desires! I used peanut butter & jelly, cream cheese & jelly, plain peanut butter and plain cream cheese.
You can use a nut butter, nutella, marshmallow fluff, dulce de leche, cajeta and/or whatever else you can think of! There are no rules and the recipe is really more method than precision.
They remind me of those french toast sticks that were all the rage a while back. Only more special.
A lot more special.
French toast roll-ups with gooey fillings and golden brown buttery outsides rolled in cinnamon sugar. Melt in your mouth delicious! Easy to make and kids love them!
- Trim the crust from the bread and flatten it out with a rolling pin.
- Place about a teaspoon or 2 of your chosen filling an inch from one end of the bread spread out in a strip. Roll the bread up and repeat until they're all filled.
- In a shallow bowl whisk the eggs and milk until well combined.
- In a separate bowl mix the sugar with the cinnamon.
- In a skillet set over medium heat melt a tablespoon of butter.
- Add the rolls to the egg turning to coat on all sides then place them in the pan seam side down. Cook in batches until golden brown, turning them to cook and brown on all sides. Add butter to the pan as needed.
- Add the hot rolls from the pan to the cinnamon sugar and roll until completely covered in sugar.
- Serve with maple syrup for dunking.
Adapted from Pati's Mexican Table
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved.