A Greek-inspired meatloaf to spice up your meatloaf night! What? Doesn’t everyone have a designated meatloaf night? It’s totally a thing just like taco night. . . In my house it’s usually Wednesday night.
Every bite of this tender, juicy meatloaf is full of possibilities with feta cheese, garlicky spinach, roasted red peppers, onions and pine nuts. There’s a trio of herbs including thyme, parsley and oregano plus a big glug of Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, seasoned bread crumbs and eggs to hold it all together.
The baby spinach is quickly wilted in a frying pan before being added to the meat with a little garlic. Everyone will eat their veggies this way and like it because it’s impossible not to.
Just like chicken, meatloaf is one of my favorite go-to meals. I grew up on it and still love my Mom’s to this day. Everything I know about meatloaf I learned from her and always build my recipes around a common core that includes egg, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce and ketchup. From there I put my own spin on things.
Thanks Mom. For making a meatloaf lover out of me.
|Greek Spinach & Feta Meatloaf|| |
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 + ¼ pounds ground beef
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ⅓ cup diced roasted red peppers (from a jar)
- ¼ cup chopped yellow onion
- ⅓ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup ketchup plus 2 tablespoons for brushing on top
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Heat a frying pan over medium - low heat with the oil, add the garlic and the baby spinach. Cook, stirring until the spinach wilts. Remove from heat and cool.
- Add all the ingredients including the spinach to a large mixing bowl and combine with a fork or your hands.
- Dump it into the pan and pat it into a loaf. Cover the sides and top with the remaining 2 tablespoons ketchup.
- Bake 40 - 50 minutes until cooked through in the center. Let it rest 5 - 10 minutes before slicing.