Golden brown and crispy oven-fried tater tots with cheddar cheese. You can make them with all white potatoes or swap out some of the white for a sweet potato twist.
My Mom asked me why would anybody want to make their own tater tots? Hmmmm because it’s. . . fun? And because I can. It certainly is not a fast process as forming the tots themselves can take 20 – 25 minutes unless you have an extra set or two of hands to help you.
I tried both baking and deep frying these and preferred the baked ones. The fried ones got mushy in the oil and didn’t hold their shape.
The baked version, shown in these pictures, gets a little crunchy on the outside with creamy, cheesy middles. Completely addictive.
Better make a double batch.
Golden brown and crispy oven-fried tater tots with cheddar cheese. You can swap out some of the white potatoes for a sweet potato twist.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Scrub the potatoes clean and roast until until a fork goes easily into them when poked. Fill two big bowls with ice water and put the potatoes in them to cool.
- Change the water as needed until the potatoes are cold. (Alternately you can cook them ahead of time and refrigerate until cold.)
- Peel the potatoes then shred on the large holes of a box grater. Add to a large bowl and use a fork to combine with the cheese, potato starch, salt and pepper.
- If baking: grease a large baking sheet generously with oil from edge to edge. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Scoop up little pieces of the potato mixture and form into cylinders about 1 inch long. Place on baking sheet and repeat until all the tots are made.
- Bake about 25 minutes, turning once about 15 minutes into the cooking time.
- Heat an inch of oil in a large Dutch oven to 350 degress F. Cook the tots in batches until lightly golden all over about 5 minutes - if they start to fall apart or get smooshy then reduce the cooking time. Drain on paper-towel lined plates before serving.
- Serve with ketchup for dipping.
Adapted from Serious Eats
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved. No copying or duplication of any content (including photos) without the express written permission from the owner of this website.