Homemade Marshmallow Fluff

Homemade Marshmallow Cream

Marshmallow fluff is a spreadable marshmallow cream that closely resembles a whipped and sweetened cloud. Food for angels.

Marshmallow fluff is most famous for being half of the duo that makes up the beloved fluffernutters. Peanut butter and fluff sandwiches. You can also use it to make moon pies, broiler s’mores or to frost a cake since it’s almost identical to Italian meringue.

A gooey dollop dropped into hot cocoa is heavenly bliss. Of course if none of this suits your fancy you can always eat it off a spoon. . . it’s pretty hard not to.

The process of making fluff is not at all complicated, but requires a candy thermometer and a stand mixer. Corn syrup and sugar is heated to the softball stage and drizzled into egg whites that have been beaten into stiff peaks. They are whipped together on high speed resulting in billowy mounds of super sweet fluff.

This recipe uses corn syrup, a product that has been around since the late 1800’s. Our ancestors recognized it as food. It is not the same thing as high fructose corn syrup. I’m not afraid to use it. Or eat it. Occasionally.

Update: The Strawberry Fluff is finally here! Eggless and Corn Syrup Free. I also have one for Gingerbread Fluff!

Homemade Marshmallow Fluff

Yield: About 5 cups

Homemade Marshmallow Fluff

Marshmallow fluff is a spreadable marshmallow cream that closely resembles a whipped and sweetened cloud!

INGREDIENTS:

3 large egg whites
2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Beat egg whites together until light and frothy using an electric stand mixer with the whisk attachment. With the mixer running, slowly pour in 2 tablespoons sugar; beat until soft peaks form.
  2. In a large saucepan, combine 1/3 cup water, corn syrup, and remaining 2/3 cup sugar. Place over medium heat and cook until boiling. Start cooking over medium heat stirring occasionally but never taking your eyes off it. Raise heat to medium high and continue cooking until mixture reaches the soft-ball stage, about 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer, it will take about 10-15 minutes. (The hot syrup may bubble up the sides, turn heat down briefly or remove pan from heat, once the syrup goes back down raise heat and continue cooking.)
  3. Drape an old, clean kitchen towel over the front and side of the mixer, leaving one side open to pour in the syrup. With the mixer on low, slowly add hot syrup to egg-white mixture ( make sure kids and pets are not nearby, this could scar you for life, people(!) and scares the living daylights out of me!). Increase mixer speed to high and continue beating for 6-8 minutes. Add vanilla and continue to beat until mixture looks like marshmallow cream, 2-4 minutes more.
  4. Allow to cool, spoon and store in tightly sealed jars in the refrigerator up to a month.

Adapted from Martha Stewart

Comments

1. Sean says

I’m the founder/moderator for Punk Domestics (www.punkdomestics.com), a community site for those of use obsessed with, er, interested in DIY food. It’s sort of like Tastespotting, but specific to the niche. I’d love for you to submit this to the site. Good stuff!

2. Kay says

This looks awesome, I love finding ways to make things home made! I would really like try it! I am just wondering, how much does the recipe make, and how long does it keep for? (If it doesn’t keep long, I don’t want to make too much!)

Hi Kay! This makes a lot! It will last for a month to 6 weeks in the refrigerator. Maybe you have someone to share some of it with? Have a great day!

3. Anais says

Hi,
    I made this recipe the other day and did as you said, I put it in a air tight jar and put it in the fridge.
    But two days later it had gone bad, their was a kinda water or egg juice in the bottom of my jar.
    What could have gone wrong?

Hi Anais! I’m not sure! Was the fluff still warm when you put the lid on it? Maybe it was condensation? It could of separated but I never heard of fluff doing that. In any event I’m sorry that happened. I left some of my fluff jars in the cupboard and refrigerated some to test them out and they both were ok a month later. Maybe next time you could just store it in a cool, dry place and make the sure the fluff is completely cool before adding the lid.

• Anais says

Hi,
        I found my problem.
        In your recipe you have corn syrup, and you make another kind of syrup. First time I made the recipe, I thought the syrup and corn syrup was the same ingredient, so I only put 3/4 cup of the syrup I made.
        The second time, I followed the instructions, I made the syrup and added 3/4 cup of glucose syrup (since we don’t have corn syrup in France), I used the fluff to fill cupcakes that were all eaten the next day.
        The fluff was good but it had a cooked egg taste, is that normal, or did I poor the syrup to hot in the eggs white?
        Anyway thank you so much for this recipe!!
        Anaïs

Hi Anais! Thanks for making the fluff again! I’m glad it turned out better although it shouldn’t taste like eggs. That probably means some of the eggs scrambled when you added the hot syrup. Do you have unflavored gelatin in France? You can make it with that instead of eggs. Let me know and I will e-mail you the recipe.

4. Aussie sue says

Hi, I just love the idea I can now try to make this, I live in Australia and tried Fluff many years ago and loved the concept – the kids did too!! They did sell it here a few years ago but I can’t get it anywhere…so make it I will..interested in how the chocolate one is made though…when is your book coming out?? anyway, thank you again for putting this recipe up.
    Aussie Sue xoxo