Homemade Marshmallow Fluff

Homemade Marshmallow Cream

Marshmallow fluff is a spreadable marshmallow cream that closely resembles a whipped and sweetened cloud. Food for angels.

Marshmallow fluff is most famous for being half of the duo that makes up the beloved fluffernutters. Peanut butter and fluff sandwiches. You can also use it to make moon pies, broiler s’mores or to frost a cake since it’s almost identical to Italian meringue.

A gooey dollop dropped into hot cocoa is heavenly bliss. Of course if none of this suits your fancy you can always eat it off a spoon. . . it’s pretty hard not to.

The process of making fluff is not at all complicated, but requires a candy thermometer and a stand mixer. Corn syrup and sugar is heated to the softball stage and drizzled into egg whites that have been beaten into stiff peaks. They are whipped together on high speed resulting in billowy mounds of super sweet fluff.

This recipe uses corn syrup, a product that has been around since the late 1800′s. Our ancestors recognized it as food. It is not the same thing as high fructose corn syrup. I’m not afraid to use it. Or eat it. Occasionally.

Update: The Strawberry Fluff is finally here! Eggless and Corn Syrup Free. Chocolate version coming soon!

Homemade Marshmallow Fluff

Yield: About 5 cups

Homemade Marshmallow Fluff

Marshmallow fluff is a spreadable marshmallow cream that closely resembles a whipped and sweetened cloud!

INGREDIENTS:

3 large egg whites
2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Beat egg whites together until light and frothy using an electric stand mixer with the whisk attachment. With the mixer running, slowly pour in 2 tablespoons sugar; beat until soft peaks form.
  2. In a large saucepan, combine 1/3 cup water, corn syrup, and remaining 2/3 cup sugar. Place over medium heat and cook until boiling. Start cooking over medium heat stirring occasionally but never taking your eyes off it. Raise heat to medium high and continue cooking until mixture reaches the soft-ball stage, about 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer, it will take about 10-15 minutes. (The hot syrup may bubble up the sides, turn heat down briefly or remove pan from heat, once the syrup goes back down raise heat and continue cooking.)
  3. Drape an old, clean kitchen towel over the front and side of the mixer, leaving one side open to pour in the syrup. With the mixer on low, slowly add hot syrup to egg-white mixture ( make sure kids and pets are not nearby, this could scar you for life, people(!) and scares the living daylights out of me!). Increase mixer speed to high and continue beating for 6-8 minutes. Add vanilla and continue to beat until mixture looks like marshmallow cream, 2-4 minutes more.
  4. Allow to cool, spoon and store in tightly sealed jars in the refrigerator up to a month.

Adapted from Martha Stewart

Comments

Hi Lori! It’s impossible to tell without being in the kitchen with you! Possibly you didn’t beat it long enough?

1. April says

Am I the only American women who doesn’t own a stand mixer?! :( I’m just now venturing out into the homemade world of goodies and feel so discouraged when I find recipes that say the stand mixer is a must. I’d love to have one but it is an “extra” and extra is not a word in my budget. Is it not possible to just use my handheld electric mixer?
    April recently posted..Stung by a bee?!My Profile

Hi April! You could try but I don’t know that it would be powerful enough. Plus the sugar is scorching-melt-your-skin hot and small splatters of the mixture could seriously burn you. I don’t have a stand mixer either! I borrow my Mom’s when I need to.

• Glenda says

Hi April,

The first time I made homemade marshmallows I used a hand mixer since I didn’t have a stand mixer at the time. They turned out great, but my hand got tired while mixing them for the time the recipe required. I later made them in the stand mixer and they were just like the ones I made in the hand mixer, so I think it should work for you.

2. Mandi says

I don’t have a stand mixer, but I do have a food processor with a beater attachment. I only want to make a small batch, roughly a third (just enough to make LCM/Krispie Bars). Would it work if I used that? Also, have you made Krispie Treats with this fluff before? Does it hold up?

Hi Mandi! I haven’t made rice krispie treats with this fluff before! As for the food processor – it needs to be whipped at a very high speed – if you think it can handle it then I would say go for it. I have heard of people blowing out the motors in them so you’d be taking a chance. . . Let me know how it works out if you do. Good luck!

3. Kristin says

This makes me so happy. My favorite way to use Fluff is to mix it with cream cheese for a super simple fruit dip (the amount of one small container of fluff mixed with one block cream cheese). It is SOOO good. Several people I have introduced to it are quite happy to just eat it with a spoon. YUM!