Homemade Marshmallow Fluff

Homemade Marshmallow Cream

Marshmallow fluff is a spreadable marshmallow cream that closely resembles a whipped and sweetened cloud. Food for angels.

Marshmallow fluff is most famous for being half of the duo that makes up the beloved fluffernutters. Peanut butter and fluff sandwiches. You can also use it to make moon pies, broiler s’mores or to frost a cake since it’s almost identical to Italian meringue.

A gooey dollop dropped into hot cocoa is heavenly bliss. Of course if none of this suits your fancy you can always eat it off a spoon. . . it’s pretty hard not to.

The process of making fluff is not at all complicated, but requires a candy thermometer and a stand mixer. Corn syrup and sugar is heated to the softball stage and drizzled into egg whites that have been beaten into stiff peaks. They are whipped together on high speed resulting in billowy mounds of super sweet fluff.

This recipe uses corn syrup, a product that has been around since the late 1800’s. Our ancestors recognized it as food. It is not the same thing as high fructose corn syrup. I’m not afraid to use it. Or eat it. Occasionally.

Update: The Strawberry Fluff is finally here! Eggless and Corn Syrup Free. Chocolate version coming soon!

Homemade Marshmallow Fluff

Yield: About 5 cups

Homemade Marshmallow Fluff

Marshmallow fluff is a spreadable marshmallow cream that closely resembles a whipped and sweetened cloud!

INGREDIENTS:

3 large egg whites
2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Beat egg whites together until light and frothy using an electric stand mixer with the whisk attachment. With the mixer running, slowly pour in 2 tablespoons sugar; beat until soft peaks form.
  2. In a large saucepan, combine 1/3 cup water, corn syrup, and remaining 2/3 cup sugar. Place over medium heat and cook until boiling. Start cooking over medium heat stirring occasionally but never taking your eyes off it. Raise heat to medium high and continue cooking until mixture reaches the soft-ball stage, about 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer, it will take about 10-15 minutes. (The hot syrup may bubble up the sides, turn heat down briefly or remove pan from heat, once the syrup goes back down raise heat and continue cooking.)
  3. Drape an old, clean kitchen towel over the front and side of the mixer, leaving one side open to pour in the syrup. With the mixer on low, slowly add hot syrup to egg-white mixture ( make sure kids and pets are not nearby, this could scar you for life, people(!) and scares the living daylights out of me!). Increase mixer speed to high and continue beating for 6-8 minutes. Add vanilla and continue to beat until mixture looks like marshmallow cream, 2-4 minutes more.
  4. Allow to cool, spoon and store in tightly sealed jars in the refrigerator up to a month.

Adapted from Martha Stewart

Comments

1. Lynette says

It is like marshmallow cream? Do you think it could be used in fudge recipes in place of marshmallow cream? Also I was wondering if you had tried freezing it. Does it freeze or can well for large batches?

Either way, thank so much for the recipe!! You have no idea how many times I have needed it for other things besides fudge only to realize I had none left. Around here, it can be hard to find unless it’s Christmas. I bought 20 jars of marshmallow cream last Christmas and only have 2 left. What can I say, I love to make fudge..lol

Hi Lynette! It is like marshmallow cream! You could can it but I don’t know about freezing. I don’t see why you couldn’t use it for making fudge! Please let me know how it turns out. Wow! 20 jars? Heehee.

• Kathleen C says

there is a much easier recipe you dont have to cook, and yes its freezer safe for months

3 egg whites, room temperature
      2 cups light corn syrup
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      2 cups sifted powdered (confectioner’s) sugar
      1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

Preparation:

In a large bowl of an electric mixer, add egg whites, corn syrup, and salt.

Using your electric mixer on high speed, mix for approximately 5 minutes or until the mixture is thick and volume has almost doubled.

On low speed, add powdered sugar and mix until well blended. Add vanilla extract just until well blended.

Your homemade marshmallow fluff/cream is now ready to use in your recipes. Use immediately, or refrigerate in a covered container for up to 2 weeks.

Makes a large quantity.

2. Claudia says

Do you have to use corn syrup, or would it turn out ok if I used honey instead of the corn syrup?

3. Thomas Kong says

The Chocolate Version same as original version, but cocoa powder(don’t sure as this, but chocolate syrup)added.

Hi Thomas! I used some cocoa powder and also some melted chocolate but I need to test it some more. The melted chocolate took some of the fluffiness away so I might test just using cocoa. I’ll post the finished recipe when I get it right!

• S. Wilkerson says

Hi Reeni -did you ever get the chocolate version worked out?
        Sheila

I’m sorry Sheila I didn’t! I don’t have an exact recipe but I did add cocoa powder to a batch and it turned out pretty good. I added it near the end instead of the vanilla extract – I think it was about 1/3 of a cup – start the mixer on low until it gets absorbed then back up to high for the last few minutes. I have also tried melted chocolate and that was too heavy – the fluff lost it’s fluff. :-) Good luck! I’d love to hear back if you try it!

• S. Wilkerson says

Thanks Reeni – hopefully my granddaughter and I will try it soon.

Sheila