Homemade Red Lobster Cheddar Biscuits

Homemade Red Lobster Biscuits

Homemade cheddar bay biscuits just like the ones at Red Lobster! Laced with garlic, butter and cheddar cheese with fluffy insides, golden brown bottoms and salty, craggy tops.

I know some people who go to Red Lobster just to pig out eat the cheddar bay biscuits. Not me. While I do like them, maybe a little too much, the coconut shrimp is what really draws me.

The last time I was at Red Lobster, a mere week ago, the biscuits were slightly on the rubbery side. Boo. Still delicious but something’s definitely changed from a few years ago.

After scouring the internet for a recipe that not only looked good but didn’t use Bisquick, something I don’t keep on hand and prefer not to use, I threw my hands up in disgust.

Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits

My disgust quickly evaporated because there’s nothing I love better than to recreate my favorite restaurant food at home. So with the memory of those famously unforgettable biscuits still fresh in my mind I got right to work.

They couldn’t be more perfect. Truly as close to the originals as one could possibly get in their own kitchen. And it only took one try. This time. Sometimes I get it right the first time and sometimes I never get it right. Even after 3 or 4 times.

If you only knew what went on behind the scenes in the kitchen of a food blogger. The trials and tribulations we go through. You would laugh. And might even cry. In my kitchen there’s more successes than failures and through it all dedication and determination. Plus lots of dirty dishes.

Anywhoo the biscuits are best eaten piping hot straight from the oven dripping with the salty, parsley-garlic butter.

As if you could resist.

Red Lobster Cheddar Biscuits

Yield: 12 biscuits

Red Lobster Cheddar Biscuits

Homemade cheddar bay biscuits just like the ones at Red Lobster!

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut in small cubes
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup buttermilk, ice cold
Topping:
3 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
rounded 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
  3. Use a pastry blender or 2 knives used scissor fashion to cut in the butter until small pea-sized crumbs form.
  4. Add the cheese and toss until coated with flour.
  5. Add the buttermilk and stir until just combined - don't overmix. Drop by 1/4 cup fulls onto the baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
  6. Bake 14 - 16 minutes until golden around the edges. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine melted butter with parsley and garlic salt.
  7. Remove the biscuits from the oven and brush butter generously over the tops while hot. Best served warm.

Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved

Comments

1. Francoise says

Thank you! I was looking for a copycat recipe and could find nothing but Bisquick. You rock, these are delicious – maybe even better than the originals.

2. Trish says

Thank you so much for this recipe!! These are AWESOME!!! And I noticed that WalMart is selling the name-brand Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit Mix in their stores for almost $4 a box! Processed…ugh. This recipe probably beats the box…no doubt. Homemade from scratch is always the way to go. Thanks, Reeni!

Thanks Trish! I haven’t seen the biscuit mix! Eww! I wonder if Red Lobster uses Bisquick!? I was there the other night and the biscuits were terrible – they must of been having an off night. Happy New Year!

3. Rachel says

Thanks so much for the recipe! I was happy to find a recipe without Bisquick that also had glowing reviews. My family is gluten free so I changed it into a GF recipe. They turned out wonderful! Just like I remember them!

4. Jenn says

Didn’t have buttermilk, so I used regular 1%… Seemed way too dry with only 3/4 cup, so I added more, but had to mix more than I probably should. Hoping they turn out… In the oven now.

5. Cathi D says

Ok first promise NOT to laugh. Next – promise again not to laugh. I really wanted to make these to compliment the homemade chicken, vegetable & barley soup I was making. Even told my kids “watch I can make buttermilk with lemon juice and milk”. Had everything ready to go, Mixed all the dry ingredients (yes cutting the butter in with a knife as I don’t have a pastry blender). Mixed in the cheese then it was time for the milk. Started to just stir the milk in an thought wow this is pretty wet (notice I read the other comment that someone made them and they thought too dry). Stirred a bit more. Began dropping onto the pan and said “these are really wet”, thought about adding more flour (must have done something off). Decided not to and just went ahead and plopped (well you can’t really plop really went dough). Got about 8 total on the pan and said to myself (maybe the 400 degree oven will get them firm quickly). NOPE – realized just after I put them in that something was wrong with the milk amount. Took another look and remembered that 2 cup measuring cup was almost full while waiting for it to become buttermilk. NOW YOU CAN LAUGH. I added 1 AND 3/4 cups of mile not 3/4. I wasn’t upset. Every mistake in baking/cooking is a lesson. My instict was correct but I ignored it. Needless to say my idea that ANYTHING with cheese, butter and garlic salt couldn’t be all bad. So, while the smoke alarm was going off I continue to let the biscuits cook about 8 minutes longer and voila we ate them. Kind of considered that maybe somewhere in the world this is how biscuits are made. I kept the recipe and will make them again (correctly) in the very near future. Thanks so much for sharing the technique – I learned something and still enjoyed them.

Hi Cathi! I’m so sorry that happened! I have mishaps like that all the time so I’m laughing but not at you – with you. :-) Thanks for trying them out! You’ll have to let me know if you try them again and how they turn out. Take care and have a great weekend!