Apples play a starring role in this lemon and vanilla infused cake! Not only are they in the batter but on top too making for a pretty presentation and filling every bite with their tart, sweet flavor.
This is a single layer cake cooked in a springform pan. It’s buttery and moist with soft, tender apples that melt in your mouth. It’s perfect with just a sprinkle of powdered sugar but can also be dressed up with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
It comes together easily once you get the most time-consuming task done, the slicing of the apples. Now, I know, it’s not apple season, but apples are one of those fruits I eat all year-long.
When I see a piece of fruit the first thing I usually think of is what can I bake with it? I can always find beautiful organic ones and aside from eating them with a
little lot of cinnamon sprinkled over them I love a good apple cake. One that makes you want to put the teapot on to boil and slice a big piece off.
Like, every single time you pass the kitchen.
|Italian Apple Cake|| |
- 5 - 6 medium organic golden delicious or gala apples
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 + ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling on top
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- confectioners' sugar to sprinkle on top
- whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of an 8 or 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper and butter and flour the sides.
- Peel, core and cut the apples into ¼-1/3-inch slices. Place in a large bowl and toss them with the lemon juice to prevent browning.
- In a small saucepan set over low heat melt 7 tablespoons of the butter. Remove from heat and add the milk.
- In a small bowl sift the flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon together.
- In a separate large bowl on low speed beat the eggs and sugar together until yellow and creamy 2 - 3 minutes. Beat in the zest and vanilla.
- Beat in the flour slowly, ⅓ at a time. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat in the butter/milk mixture just until a smooth batter forms; don't over beat.
- Gently fold in half the apple slices. Spread the batter in the prepared pan and shake the pan gently to level it.
- Arrange the remaining apples slices over the top in a circular pattern with the edges slightly overlapping. Sprinkle them with about 2 tablespoons of sugar and dot with the remaining tablespoon butter.
- Bake 60 to 70 minutes until the cake starts to pull away from the center of the pan and the top is golden - a toothpick from the center should come out with crumbs but no wet batter.
- Cool on wire rack for 25 - 30 minutes then remove the sides from the springform pan and cool completely.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if desired.
Copyright ©2016 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved