Ground beef in a creamy, flavorful sauce you can serve on toast, egg noodles, rice or mashed potatoes. A gussied up version of SOS.
Believe me when I say it tastes a whole lot better than it looks and makes the perfect comfort meal.
The great thing is how fast and easy it is to make. Brown ground beef with a bit of onion and garlic, stir in a little butter, flour and Italian seasoning, whisk in milk, simmer and stir in grated Parmesan cheese to finish.
Fifteen to twenty minutes later, just enough time to boil some noodles or toast up some bread, dinner is served. Easy-peazy, cool & breezy.
You can use ground pork or ground sausage instead of ground beef for more flavor.
Don’t be put off by the way it looks – I promise you it is surprisingly tasty.
My brand-spanking-new favorite comfort meal.
|Italian Creamed Beef (SOS)|| |
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ¼ cup finely minced onion
- sea salt and fresh black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese (not pre-grated)
- toast, egg noodles, rice, baked or mashed potatoes, for serving
- Heat a medium-sized frying pan over medium heat and add the ground beef, garlic, onion and a few dashes each of salt and pepper. Brown the meat breaking it apart as it cooks.
- Once the meat is browned on all sides turn off the heat and drain off the excess grease. Return the pan to medium heat.
- Add the butter to the pan and sprinkle the flour and Italian seasoning over the meat and stirring often cook about 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and turn the heat up slightly. Bring to a simmer and cook 7 - 8 minutes, stirring often.
- Turn the heat down to low and stir in the Parmesan with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve over buttered toast, egg noodles, rice, baked or mashed potatoes.