Meat sauce takes me right back to the days of my youth when this would grace our table all the time. It was one of my favorite meals. Then we stopped having it. For whatever reason, a once or twice a month occasion turned into a once a year event. I can’t tell you how wrong that is. On so many levels.
The thick sauce is flavored with onion, bell pepper, garlic, Italian seasonings and bay leaf with tomato paste and crushed tomatoes. Typically we would make this with ground beef alone; I spiced it up by adding crumbled hot Italian sausage. It’s best with a pasta that has nooks and crannies for trapping all those delectable pieces of meat, vegetables and sauce.
I’m keeping the tradition alive and recreating it along the way because I love it so. It’s Italian-American comfort food at its best. A Sunday dinner to look forward to. Add a slab of crusty Italian bread (I get the ends!) to mop it up and copious amounts of Parmesan cheese. Then eat your way to heaven.
A thick and meaty pasta sauce, the ultimate comfort food!
- In a large saucepan or stock pot saute pepper and onion in enough olive oil to generously cover bottom of pan over medium-low heat until tender. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add the beef and sausage, turn heat up to medium and brown the meat on all sides, stirring and breaking it apart as it cooks.
- Once meat is browned add Italian seasoning and tomato paste, combine with meat, allow to cook for a 3-4 minutes stirring often. Add crushed tomatoes, bay leaf, 1/3 cup water and red pepper flakes, if desired. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 35-45 minutes, stirring often and tasting halfway through to re-season if needed.
- Remove bay leaf before serving. Serve over your favorite pasta with plenty of grated cheese and crusty bread.
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved. No copying or duplication of any content (including photos) without the express written permission from the owner of this website.