Meatball soup with white beans, carrots, celery and a sea of baby greens. Everything Italian in one giant pot. LOVE.
It’s been one year to the day since I was stricken with a cold. Jan. 3. Thanks to this blog I know precise things like that about my life.
I spent the last 4 days carousing Pinterest and pinning every single recipe I ever made. Plus
hundreds thousands of others I want to make. When you’re confined to a couch pinterest is a haven.
Oh yeah. I also sneezed my way through 3 boxes of tissues, the biggest jar of honey you could ever set eyes on, an entire jar of vicks vapor rub and about a million tea bags. Thank goodness I’m a tea hoarder.
I watched You’ve Got Mail 4 times (love that movie), learned how to make a spear if I’m ever lost in the Amazon jungle, copied down the directions for making my own vat of moonshine and saw Bobby Flay lose his first Iron Chef in. . . I don’t know. . . forever? I may or may not have cried.
Did I mention I also went through every single cookbook I own. All 100+ marking every recipe I want to make. Then I did the same thing with my food magazines. All 300 of them.
I also ate my way through all of this soup and an entire dutch oven filled to the brim with sweet potato soup. Feed a cold, right? Both made when the very beginnings of my cold were starting to show their ugly colors. When I could still move without coughing like a crazy banshee. Or sneezing like a wild hyena.
And I’m still sick.
Meatball soup with white beans and a sea of baby greens. Everything Italian in one giant pot.
- Combine the meatball ingredients together with a fork. Form into 1-inch-sized meatballs. In a big soup pot or dutch oven heat enough oil to generously cover bottom of pan over medium heat.
- Cook the meatballs in two batches, turning to brown them on all sides. Remove to paper towels and drain off the oil
- Add a few more tablespoons of oil over medium-low heat and add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and Italian seasoning. Season well with salt and pepper. Cook stirring often 10 minutes.
- Stir in broth, beans and add the meatballs back in. Simmer 25 minutes, tasting often and re-seasoning as needed.
- Add the baby kale and fresh basil, simmer 5 - 10 more minutes until wilted.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese and croutons or crusty bread.