A decadent and delicious casserole filled to the brim with Tex-Mex flavors. Hidden under the jalapeño popper cream cheese and cheddar sauce are bites of chicken, crispy corn and fresh tomatoes covered with a tortilla chip topping.
To soak up all that rich jalapeño popper sauce you can serve this over couscous, rice or a grain like quinoa. Or serve it over a bed of tortilla chips. Or both! A bed of rice with chips for scooping. Perfect.
Have you noticed from my recipes the last few weeks that I am on a crazy Tex-Mex inspired food binge? The cravings for spicy, cheesy food never end. It’s quite possibly the best cuisine to exist on Earth. Yes, I’m Italian. Right now I don’t care.
Just pass the corn chips. Please.
A decadent casserole filled with Tex-mex flavors including a jalapeno popper cream cheese sauce, chicken, corn and fresh tomatoes covered in tortilla crumbs.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add oil, onion, jalapenos and garlic. Season well with salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender, stirring often about 5-6 minutes.
- Season the chicken well with salt and pepper. If pan is dry add another tablespoon of oil along with the chicken pieces. Cook the chicken until browned on all sides. Remove pan from heat; stir in tomatoes and corn.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Put a baking sheet on bottom rack to catch drips. Butter a 9x13 deep-sided baking pan. Add the chicken mixture and evenly spread out.
- In a large heavy-duty saucepan melt the butter over medium-low heat, stir in flour and cook 3 minutes, stirring often. Slowly whisk in milk, turn up heat and bring to a simmer; simmer 4 minutes. Add cream cheese and stir until completely melted; add cheddar and stir until completely melted; remove from heat.
- Pour over top of chicken. Sprinkle tortilla chips over top.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until bubbly all over. Let set 5 minutes before serving. Serve over couscous, rice, quinoa or another grain with a dollop of sour cream and chips.
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved. No copying or duplication of any content (including photos) without the express written permission from the owner of this website.