Of course I had to make a puff pastry version! “You love that stuff don’t you?” Mom asked when I tucked away yet another pack into the freezer. If I don’t have at least one handy then I get a little freaky.
These have cream cheese, sharp cheddar and two kind of jalapeños in them, fresh and pickled for a little briny bite. I also threw in some corn and a couple dashes of Cholula hot sauce because the jalapeños don’t make them hot enough. Totally kidding. I needed spicing up.
All that is combined together, spread over a sheet of puff pastry and rolled up like a cinnamon roll. After a 20-minute trip to the fridge you cut it into rolls and bake.
You can hold off on the baking for as long as a day or two if you want to make them ahead of time for a special occasion. You can freeze them too. They make the best appetizers, movie-watching or game day treats.
- In a small skillet or frying pan heat the oil over medium heat, add the onion, fresh jalapenos and garlic plus a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl melt the cream cheese for 20 seconds, stir and microwave again 10 more seconds, you should be able to stir it with a spoon. If not melt it in 10 second increments until you can.
- Add the cooked onion mixture, the pickled jalapenos, cheddar, corn and hot sauce. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl with 1 tablespoon water.
- On a floured work surface lay the puff pastry down and roll into a 10 x 12-inch rectangle. Brush all over with the egg.
- Spoon the filling onto it and spread it out evenly leaving a 1-inch border on one of the long edges. Roll it up towards the border. Brush the edge with the egg wash and press to seal.
- Refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or grease lightly.
- Cut the roll into 1/2-inch wide slices and place on the baking sheet 1-inch apart. Bake 18 - 20 minutes until golden brown on the bottom and edges.
- Serve hot or warm garnished with green onion and sour cream for dipping, if desired.
Copyright ©2014 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved