Dear 86 Calorie Fudge Brownies,
I’m forever trying to appease that stubborn sweet tooth of mine. It’s never satisfied. I wish I knew you then.
With such wholesome ingredients like wheat flour, olive oil and applesauce plus honey to replace the refined sugar some may say you are too good to be true. I would tell them they’re wrong.
Thank goodness you taste positively dreamy. Like rich, fudgy chocolate and not apples.
I confess I may have cheated by adding walnuts and chocolate chips. I mistakenly thought you would taste bad. I was trying to “fix” you. It’s nearly impossible to fix something so perfect. Now I know.
Even with my additions you weigh in at a mere 136 calories. How can one go wrong?
To my surprise I found you every bit as addicting as full fat, full sugar brownies. I can’t quit you.
Thank-you 86 calorie brownies for coming into my life.
My brownie-loving chocoholic heart is yours. Forever.
Your hopelessly devoted friend,
Cinnamon Girl xoxo
Low calorie fudge brownies with wholesome ingredients like wheat flour, olive oil and honey.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment and spray with olive oil.
- Measure the honey into a deep-sided small bowl and microwave on high power 45 seconds. Whisk in the cocoa powder and let cool.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- In a large bowl whisk applesauce, oil, egg, and vanilla together until well combined. Whisk in the cooled honey-cocoa mixture until smooth. Add the flour mixture and stir until all the flour is incorporated. Stir in the walnuts and chocolate chips if using.
- Add the batter to the prepared pan and spread out evenly. Bake until the surface looks dry around the edges and a toothpick in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it, about 25 minutes or 30 minutes if you added walnuts and chocolate chips. Don't over bake.
- Cool the pan on a wire rack. Once cool refrigerate for 20-30 minutes. Remove the brownies using the parchment to a cutting board and slice into 16 squares. For clean cuts wipe the knife clean after each cut and dip in hot water. Store in an airtight container in a cool place 3-4 days.
86 calories each without walnuts and chocolate chips, 136 calories with walnuts and chocolate chips
Adapted from Jillian Michaels