A luscious layer cake bursting with the bright flavor of sunshine! Fresh lemon zest and juice permeate every corner of this sweet and tart cake, from the moist crumb to the delectable cream cheese frosting.
It’s scrumptious straight from the fridge, like drinking cold, sweet lemonade on a sweltering summer day when your mouth is as parched as a desert. Similar and a whole lot better, because it’s in dessert form! And what could be better? Dessert trumps everything.
With fresh blueberries and organic coconut flakes to dress it up, this is one of the most refreshing summer cakes you can make. If you’re reading this in the middle of winter it will transport you right smack into the middle of summer. Because it is summer.
Summer in a cake.
A luscious lemon flavored layer cake with a rich cream cheese frosting bursting with the bright flavor of lemon flavored sunshine!
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 (8-inch) round cake pans, line bottom with parchment paper if desired.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.
- In a separate, large mixing bowl beat sugar and butter until fluffy about 5 minutes, beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in lemon zest and juice. Beat in flour and buttermilk in three additions, alternating between the two and beginning and ending with flour.
- Pour batter into prepared pans; sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350°F for 32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans, continue cooling on wire rack.
- In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese, butter together 3 minutes on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in zest and lemon juice. Beat in confectioners’ sugar a cup at a time and continue beating on medium speed about 5 minutes until thick and fluffy. Frost cake when completely cooled, store in refrigerator.