A recipe for oven-fried chicken with a crunchy lemon and panko coating. A chicken so incredibly tender that every bite will melt in your mouth in a burst of lemon sunshine. Thanks to the marinade.A combination of fresh lemon juice, lemon zest and buttermilk. And to the coating. A mixture of panko, thyme and more lemon zest.
I think everyone should have a good, oven-fried chicken recipe up their sleeve. Just like this one. Equally delicious hot from the oven, at room temperature or cold, this is a perfect addition to your picnic basket! Nothing is more classic.
With the zingy lemon, crispy crust and juicy insides this is far too tempting to pass up. Everyone will love it.
Oven-fried chicken with a crunchy lemon and panko coating.
- Mix 1 tablespoon lemon zest and lemon juice in a large bowl. Whisk in water and buttermilk.
- Pierce chicken pieces several times with a fork and season well with salt and pepper. Toss in the marinade making sure all sides are well coated, cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator 1 hour before cooking and bring to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Put the panko, thyme, the remaining lemon zest, cayenne, 1 teaspoon salt, and a couple dashes black pepepr in a large resealable plastic bag and shake to mix.
- Put the mayonnaise in a wide, shallow bowl. Set a wire rack on a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray - if you don't have an oven proof wire rack spray a large non-stick baking sheet with sides.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, dip in the mayonnaise, then drop into the bag and shake to coat, transfer to the rack.
- Mist the chicken lightly all over with cooking spray. Bake until golden about 35 minutes then flip and bake until cooked through (breasts don’t need to be turned), juices should run clear and internal temperature should reach 165-174 degrees F.
Adapted from Food Network
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved. No copying or duplication of any content (including photos) without the express written permission from the owner of this website.