A lighter version of sesame chicken with a sweet and savory sauce that you will love! Ditch the Chinese takeout along with some of the calories, fat and salt usually found in the deep-fried version.
The chicken is battered in egg whites and cornstarch then pan-fried in a minimal amount of oil. It doesn’t take on a super crunchy coating like the restaurant version but it turns golden brown and develops a great caramelized flavor.
Did I mention how easy it is? I didn’t set out to make a healthier recipe but after spotting this over at Martha Stewart’s site I couldn’t help myself. It was so uncomplicated I had to make it.
The sticky sauce is simple yet flavorful and comes together quickly by whisking honey, soy sauce, garlic, ginger (my contribution) and sesame seeds together. It’s really just enough sauce to generously coat the chicken with very little extra. If you like a lot of sauce or would like some for your rice you can double it.
This is not the deep-fried, fatty version of your favorite Chinese. It’s Chinese food you can easily make at home to recreate some of those same flavors in a different but still satisfying way.
A lighter version of sesame chicken with a sweet and savory sauce that you will love!
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- In a small bowl whisk the honey, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and sesame seeds together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk the egg whites and cornstarch until they come together.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a large nonstick or cast iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add 1/3 of the chicken to the egg whites and coat the pieces thoroughly. Remove one piece at a time with tongs and allow excess to drip off.
- Cook, turning the pieces every 2 or 3 minutes with a thin, sharp metal spatula until browned on all sides and cooked through in the centers. Transfer to a platter.
- Repeat two more times adding more oil to the pan and allowing it to heat up in between batches.
- Once all the chicken is cooked add the sauce to the pan and bring to a simmer. As soon as it begins to simmer and the all the chicken and toss gently to coat with the sauce. Turn off heat.
- Serve over the rice garnished with scallions.
Adapted from Martha Stewart
Copyright ©2013 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved.