Plump and juicy meatballs swimming in a semi-spicy broth with rice, corn and carrots. Anything with the word meatball in it instantly catches my attention. And keeps it.
They elevate anything you add them to including this hearty, filling delicious soup.
The meatballs are made with ground sirloin for great flavor, cooked minute rice, cooked onions, dried oregano and a trio of fresh herbs including cilantro, parsley and mint plus an egg and a handful of bread crumbs to hold them together. I’m not crazy about mint in my savory food so I only added a little – you can omit it with good results.
Also, we should discuss cilantro. It’s like meatloaf, you either love it or hate it. . . Leave it out if you’re of the latter.
You can use any combo of veggies you like. . . The beauty of soup. Add celery, zucchini, chopped up green beans, winter squash like butternut or acorn, swap out the rice for potatoes and leave off any herbs you don’t have on hand or don’t like. Use more of what you do like to make up for it.
The broth is veggie (or chicken) plus water and a touch of tomato paste. Onion, garlic and jalapenos give it a boost of flavor. Once the broth is simmering the meatballs are carefully lowered into it. Be sure to skim off any grease or foam that rises to the top as it cooks.
Meatballs are the best kind of comfort food. Soup is the best kind of comfort food.
|Mexican Meatball Soup|| |
- olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup minute rice, prepared according to package directions
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped cilantro
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano, crushed between fingertips
- ½ teaspoon fresh chopped mint (leave it out if you don't like mint)
- sea or kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 3 minced jalapenos, seeds & ribs removed
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup sliced carrots, cut into rounds
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups vegetable or low-sodium chicken broth plus 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup corn
- ½ cup uncooked Minute rice
- 1 tablespoon corn starch, optional
- chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- In a soup pot or Dutch oven heat a tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add half the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- To a medium mixing bowl add the ground sirloin, egg, bread crumbs, cooked rice, parsley, cilantro, oregano and mint plus a couple dashes each of salt and pepper. Add the cooked, cooled onions.
- Combine everything together with a fork or your hands. Set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan over medium heat and add the rest of the onions, garlic, carrots and bay leaf. Cook 7 - 8 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the broth, water, tomato paste, corn, rice, ¾ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Turn the heat up and bring to a boil then lower the heat to a strong simmer.
- Scoop up the meat by hand and form into 1-inch meatballs dropping them gently into the water one at a time.
- Simmer 25 - 30 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through. Skim the grease off the top of the soup with a spoon and discard. Taste and season with salt and pepper or more herbs as needed.
- Optional: If you want to thicken up the broth a little bit, in a small bowl stir a tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water, slowly stir it into the soup and let it cook 5 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard. Serve with fresh chopped cilantro.
©Copyright 2015 Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni Pisano All Rights Reserved