French toast-dipped Monte Cristo roll-ups stuffed with ham and Swiss cheese – perfect for dunking in maple syrup.
So simple but incredibly delicious.
Soft slices of white bread with the crusts cut off are smooshed with a rolling pin and rolled up with slices of honey ham and shredded Swiss cheese.
The roll-ups are dunked in egg flavored with vanilla and cinnamon before being baked in a hot, buttery frying pan.
The outsides turn golden brown and crusty with melted, gooey insides. The sweet and savory combo is a match made in heaven.
If you don’t like ham you can use turkey instead and you can also smear the bread with a little dijon and/or mayonnaise before placing the ham & cheese on it.
Everyone loves these little french toast dippers with their surprise twist!
Promise, promise, promise.
|Monte Cristo (Ham & Cheese) French Toast Roll-Ups|| |
- 10 slices soft white sandwich bread
- dijon mustard and/or mayo, optional
- 10 thin slices honey ham
- ⅔ cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- butter, for the pan
- maple syrup or raspberry jam, for serving
- Cut the crusts off the bread and use a rolling pin to flatten each slice out.
- Spread a little Dijon or mayo over the bread, if desired - I didn't.
- Top each slice of bread with 1 slice of ham and 1 - 2 tablespoons Swiss. Roll it up and secure with 2 toothpicks.
- In a wide, shallow bowl whisk the egg, milk, vanilla and cinnamon together.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat with enough butter to generously cover the bottom.
- Dip each roll-up in the egg moving it around to coat every side.
- Working in 2 batches cook the roll-ups, turning to brown on all sides.
- Remove the toothpicks and discard.
- Serve with maple syrup or raspberry jam for dunking.
Makes 10 roll-ups – nutrition info is for one roll-up.
5 SMARTPOINTS | 4 POINTSPLUS