With World Nutella Day just around the corner, it’s only fitting that I honor the celebration with this chocolate hazelnut-kissed spread as the center of our well-deserved, undivided attention.
When an addicting ingredient like Nutella is paired with something equally irresistible, in this case the much beloved cinnamon roll, there is no way to escape their lure! Add the sweet, distinctive taste of banana to the mix and the rest is history. They will draw you in like a wily spider to its web and trap you with their sweet stickiness.
The deep, dark richness of the Nutella combined with the warm spiciness of the cinnamon-drenched banana dough makes them nearly impossible to resist. The trio of flavors come together to make the most delicious cinnamon roll I’ve ever tasted. In my entire life. Up front and center stage, Nutella, banana and cinnamon are prominent in each and every bite, harmoniously complimenting and bringing out the best in each other.
Fluffy, soft and dense, they will demand your attention until every single last one is completely devoured. Any attempt to ignore or wipe their memory from your mind while they still exist will be futile and senseless. The result being an endless battle of wills. My advice? Don’t bother. The path best taken is one where you completely give yourself over and bask in the glow of every glorious bite until not a crumb is left to obsess over. Take it from someone with experience!
1. Mix and knead all of the dough ingredients togethe by hand, mixer, or bread machine — until you’ve made a soft, fairly smooth dough.
2. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover and allow the dough to rise for 1 1/2 – 2 hours, until it’s almost doubled in bulk.
3. In a small bowl whisk sugars and cinnamon together to make the filling. Turn the dough out onto a generously floured surface. Use a rolling pin to roll into a 16″ x 22″ rectangle. Drizzle butter over top and spread evenly with a pastry brush, sprinkle cinnamon sugar over top leaving about a half an inch of a short edge free on the end.
4. Starting with the short end that’s covered with filling, carefully roll the dough into a log.
5. Cut the log into ten 1 ½”-thick rolls.
6. Place the rolls into a lightly greased 9″ x 9″ pan that’s at least 2″ deep. Set aside, covered, to rise for 1 hour, or until the rolls look puffy.
7. Bake the rolls in a preheated 375°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until they’re lightly browned and feel set. Remove them from the oven, and drop a heaping teaspoonful of Nutella in the middle of each one. As it melts use knife to frost the tops.
8. Combine all of the glaze ingredients and drizzle or pipe over tops.
*Adjust the amount of water by the time of year or your climate. For summer, or in a humid environment, use the lesser amount of water. In winter, or in a dry climate, use the greater amount. It’s always best to start with the lesser amount; you can add more as needed.