To make these ‘chips’ sliced zucchini is dredged in milk and coated with a seasoned Parmesan and bread crumb mixture then oven-fried to a lovely shade of golden brown. Crunchy on the outside and creamy in the middle, they are an excellent stand-in for french fries or onion rings.
The cool basil dipping sauce is the perfect complement to the hot chips! It’s rich and creamy with a sweet pop of basil that is also good on burgers.
Last summer was the first time I fully embraced eating zucchini. My entire life I had run away from it under the guise I didn’t like it.
Turns out I love zucchini!
The problem was I never had it in a way other than soggy. There’s a fine line separating perfectly cooked from overcooked, mushy zucchini. It’s fussy. And kind of delicate. But so versatile being used successfully in both savory and sweet dishes.
Even my Dad who insists to this very day that he hates zucchini ate these with gusto!
They’re totally addicting.
Zucchini rounds coated in parmesan panko crumbs and baked to a crispy, golden brown. A healthy replacement for fries or onion rings.
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Spray a large oven-proof wire rack with non-stick spray and set on a baking sheet.
- Whisk together bread crumbs, Parmesan, salt, onion powder and pepper in a medium bowl. Place milk in a separate shallow bowl. Dip zucchini slices in milk then in breadcrumb mixture patting the crumbs on. Place slices on wire rack. Repeat until all are coated.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile make the dipping sauce by pulsing all the sauce ingredients together in a food processor.
- Serve immediately with dipping sauce.