Leftover rice need not go to waste ever again! Fry it up with bacon & eggs, corn, peas, a little soy sauce and call it breakfast, lunch or dinner.
You don’t have to use leftover rice – minute rice will work – it’s fast and tastes just as good.
But then again almost anything tastes good when a half a pound of bacon is involved. Bacon is magic. . .I’ll never stop saying it. And when bacon’s best mate – eggs – are also in the mix the magic is strong.
In a wok or heavy duty frying pan the eggs are scrambled first and removed to cook the bacon. It’s chopped up first so it cooks fairly quickly. It’s up to you how crispy or chewy you make it – I like it on the crispy side with just a little bit of chewiness.
The bacon is drained and the grease is removed to make way for the veggies. Corn, peas, red onion and a little garlic are cooked until tender and then rice and soy sauce are mixed in.
Once the rice is hot the bacon and eggs are stirred in with a little green onion to garnish, if you like, plus more soy sauce for serving and the always optional hot sauce.
The fried rice tastes good hot, at room temperature and even cold. Yes, I tried it all three ways because it’s absolutely delicious and every time I felt a pang of hunger today I ate some plus it’s my job. A job I couldn’t possibly love any more than I do right at this very moment.
I lived off it all day long and was perfectly happy to do so.
Da-bomb-diggity fried rice.
|Bacon & Egg Fried Rice|| |
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- ½ pound bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ⅓ cup chopped red onion
- 1 heaping cup peas
- 1 heaping cup corn
- sea or kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, plus more for serving
- chopped green onions, for garnish, optional
- hot sauce, for serving, optional
- Heat the oil in a wok or heavy duty frying pan over medium-low heat.
- Pour in the eggs and cook through, stirring them often. Remove to a dish and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Turn the heat up to medium and add the bacon. Cook until crispy or however you like it. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Turn off the heat and let the grease cool a little - drain it off leaving about a tablespoon in the pan.
- Turn the heat back to medium and add the garlic, onion, peas & corn with a couple dashes salt & pepper. Cook, stirring often until the peas & corn are tender.
- Stir in the rice and soy sauce, cook, stirring often, until the rice is hot.
- Stir in the egg and and bacon. Garnish with green onion.
- Serve with extra soy sauce and hot sauce.